Anyone remember me saying "use bikes to make electricity!"??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Radios don't take much electricity. He'll be pedalling a long time if he wants to boil a kettle. Pedal for 20 minutes a day my arse.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Yellow Fang said:
Radios don't take much electricity. He'll be pedalling a long time if he wants to boil a kettle. Pedal for 20 minutes a day my arse.

Left a reply (under Hugostrange)

I think for a lot of little things it can work well.

Actually there might be a way to generate enough power for a kettle if you utilise gearing and flywheels and build up enough momentum. I'm no electrician/scientist though so cant justify it other than a thought.

Davidc

Guru
It takes 2 1/2 minutes for my part filled kettle to boil the water for 2 cups of tea. Thats roughly 6 kilowatt minutes.

If this guy wants a cup of tea, and can keep up 200w output, it's going to take him 30 minutes to boil the water for it. Presumably he'll have to charge a battery and then use it to run the kettle, so add a bit for inefficiencies.

Same calculation for a washerload of clothes (1 kwh in a low temperature high efficiency machine) says he's pedalling for 5 hours!

Does he use a tumble dryer?

Davidc

Guru
downfader said:
Left a reply (under Hugostrange)

I think for a lot of little things it can work well.

Actually there might be a way to generate enough power for a kettle if you utilise gearing and flywheels and build up enough momentum. I'm no electrician/scientist though so cant justify it other than a thought.

The most efficient way to boil water is probably to directly drive a paddle in the water, with very good insulation on the container. The losses would be lower than generating electricity. However the original proposal was specifically to generate electricity.

Top Bottom