Anyone riding a Gazelle in the UK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

br5968

I'm really fancying a Gazelle for my (fairly short - 2 miles each way) commute to work and various getting around town jobs. Ridden them a fair few times in Holland and Germany as hire bikes and really liked the quality, comfort and balance. I'm more after comfort than speed - often have a kid on the back anyway.

Just wondered if anyone's riding one in the UK and how they manage? I know they sell them in places like York, but Sunderland's a bit hillier than that (at least, my commute is) and though I think I'd go for a seven gear version, I wondered how practical people find them in the UK.

AndyRM

XOXO
I've cycled round a fair part of Sunderland on a single speed bike so I reckon 7 should be more than enough. Which one are you thinking of, there's a few on the York based companies site.

However, a cautionary tale - mixing gazelles and cycling can go badly wrong.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc32IeN5wrA

OP
OP
br5968

br5968

I'd originally fancied the Fuente Light, which they says is better for commuting in hillier areas. However, I'm a bit shorter than the average Dutchman, and the smallest size they do a mens frame in is 53cm. That's pushed me towards the Esprit 7, which they do in a 49cm mens frame (and is a good bit cheaper) - I haven't had a look at one in the flesh yet, but providing they don't sacrifice the quality to get it down to that price, that's my favourite at the moment. I really like the look of some of the odder Batavus models, but not sure I'm ready for single speed/pedal brake.

AndyRM

XOXO
Seem quite similar spec wise to me - the Esprit looks to have a fully protected chain which will be useful keeping it protected when commuting. Main difference looks to be the carbon fork, which will save a bit of weight.

Nice looking machines either way.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'd originally fancied the Fuente Light, which they says is better for commuting in hillier areas. However, I'm a bit shorter than the average Dutchman, and the smallest size they do a mens frame in is 53cm. That's pushed me towards the Esprit 7, which they do in a 49cm mens frame (and is a good bit cheaper) - I haven't had a look at one in the flesh yet, but providing they don't sacrifice the quality to get it down to that price, that's my favourite at the moment. I really like the look of some of the odder Batavus models, but not sure I'm ready for single speed/pedal brake.

Gazelles are some of the best looking and best made bikes I've seen.

There's something about the paintwork and general finish which says 'quality bicycle'.

According to the maker's website, the cheaper Esprit is nearly 18kg - a lot to lug up any sort of hill.

The Fuente Light is 14kg, about average for a fully equipped trekking bike.

It also has 10 or 20 gears which will almost certainly give some lower climbing gears than the hub on the Esprit.

OP
OP
br5968

br5968

Gazelles are some of the best looking and best made bikes I've seen.

There's something about the paintwork and general finish which says 'quality bicycle'.

Completely agree. They just feel really solid and comfortable - built to last.

According to the maker's website, the cheaper Esprit is nearly 18kg - a lot to lug up any sort of hill.

The Fuente Light is 14kg, about average for a fully equipped trekking bike.

It also has 10 or 20 gears which will almost certainly give some lower climbing gears than the hub on the Esprit.

Yeah, that's what's got me conflicted, especially as I'll often have a two year old on the back of the bike, and he's not getting any lighter. That said, the worst climb is on my commute, which I don't ever do with the bairn on the back. I'd hoped I might get away with the 53cm but when I got measured up in York they reckoned I'd be better off with the 49cm, and I was inclined to agree. I'm not actually that short, but it seems my legs are, if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I tried a Gazelle step-through.

It is very much a 'sit back and enjoy the ride' sort of bike, not one that likes to be hustled into corners or hurried.

That might become frustrating after a while on a commute - depends on the individual and the length of the commute.

OP
OP
br5968

br5968

Just to finish the tale..

I went for a 49cm Esprit in the end. Didn't actually end up buying new - managed to get a barely used 2012 model on Gumtree for £200. Had it for a week now, and it's brilliant. Wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but for me, it's the comfiest thing I've ever ridden. I'd been commuting on a cheap Raleigh mountain bike up to now, so just moving from nobbly tires to Schwalbe Road Cruisers has made a huge difference. I've managed the hills on the way home fine, though I'm glad I've got the 7 speed hub. Will certainly suit me for the commute and rides around town. Anyone thinking about a Gazelle, I'd say go for it.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Top Bottom