Anyone up for LEJOG's at the end of August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dontcallme

I've been thinking about it for a while and decided to put plans into motion.

I've started training and did a maintainence course last month to help me fix the basics on my bike.

I'm fit and healthy. I have ridden 100 miles in a day before and have done a few shorter trips.

My main concern is doing it on my own. Anyone know a good way to meet others who want to do the same without signing up to an organised tour?

goody

Veteran
Maybe join a club or convince a mate to join you. My biggest worry would be agreeing to do the ride with someone that faffed about, couldn't keep up, or you just didn't get on with. I did it on my own but it would have been good to have friend with me.
I 'wild' camped on my trip and the only people I spoke to over the ten days were other cyclists and shop assistants.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've have done it both ways. Both times were done solo. I was far from lonely as there were plenty of folk willing to start conversations with me at camp sites, on park benches, in supermarkets and the like.

If anything, you stand a better chance of folk talking to you if you are riding solo than if you are riding with someone.

I found the same in France when i cycled from the Channl to the Med. It helped that I could maintain a conversation in French there though.

theloafer

Legendary Member

I've started training and did a maintainence course last month to help me fix the basics on my bike.

I'm fit and healthy. I have ridden 100 miles in a day before and have done a few shorter trips.

My main concern is doing it on my own. Anyone know a good way to meet others who want to do the same without signing up to an organised tour?

you could also post on the CTC forum :thumbsup: .... when i did my second e2e a ctc member was looking for a cycle buddy we still ride now together on and off that was in 2005

Jan Urey

Hi You'll be fine - just go for it, solo!! Grit and determination. Jan

Top Bottom