Anyone upgraded/swapped out their seat post clamp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
My bike’s been squeaking and creaking like mad lately and it’s been hard to trace.

Stripped down the suspension block, checked BB, cranks and pedals, added oil into the tube holding the swing arm, and removed the seat post then cleaned inside the tube.

Finally, on Sunday I gave the nut holding the seat post clamp on and extra bit of tightening and Monday morning’s commute was blissfully quiet.

However. After folding down and then unfolding, the creak’s reappeared.

I think it’s because the lever has started to slip on the nut so it never gets really clamped in place.

Obviously, I could just buy another, but like most people, love the chance of an upgrade. So I wondered if anyone’s got any personal recommendations for a third-party clamp.

Thanks in advance.

bikegang

Mod before ride, my bike my style...
The H&H ones has multiple colours to choose ... Very smooth clamp action because the special treated contact surface.
No tool required to adjust tightness.

Three Pics and Caption II (8).png

12boy

Guru
I found your post interesting because of the detective work needed to determine the origin of frame noise on a Brompton. I once replaced a BB because the pedal was squeaking, or more accurately the SPD and the shoe. When a kid we made telephones with string and two tin cans, and I've come to think the seat post transmits noise the same way. Is it the seat post sleeve, the rubber suspension block, the BB, the rear triangle hinge, or the pedals? Good job figuring that out while riding in traffic.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
I found your post interesting because of the detective work needed to determine the origin of frame noise on a Brompton. I once replaced a BB because the pedal was squeaking, or more accurately the SPD and the shoe. When a kid we made telephones with string and two tin cans, and I've come to think the seat post transmits noise the same way. Is it the seat post sleeve, the rubber suspension block, the BB, the rear triangle hinge, or the pedals? Good job figuring that out while riding in traffic.

I think part of the reason I missed the crack in my crank was because I thought it was the pedals creaking, and not the crank... When I cleaned the pedals and re-greased them, the noise would go away for a bit. As it turns out, that must have been coincidence.

I got new pedals anyway after my crank snapped, as I don't have a vice at home and could not remove the pedal from the snapped crank as there was no purchase.

And this time around, there was more creaking when I was sat down, but it didn't go away completely when I was stood up, so while I thought it could be something to do with the seatpost/clamp/saddle/saddle rails, it seemed unlikely.

I've ordered another Brompton part now, but now I know what the problem is, I've managed to set it up so that it no longer creaks. But I think that's more by luck than judgement.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Yeah - standard clamp.

At least I managed to get hold of just the clamp, most places have stopped doing just the clamp and only do the whole assembly including the release lever.

on-Rear-Frame-Clip-Set-Complete-with-Seat-Clamp-QR.jpg

sdawila

i had the same problem, then I had it replaced with the same seat clamp which didn't last long where I eventually ordered these and solved my problem. you will need the black handle from the old one since it does not come with the package.

the only downside from the free shipping is the wait takes forever but hey patience is a virtue.........

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Ooh, that looks interesting...
Did you go for the black? ( I looked at the red but don't think it matches the red used by Brompton)

Any idea of weigh saving over the standard Brompton clamp?

Top Bottom