Anyone with a Kaffenback?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Anyone with experience of the Kaffenback 2? Just ordered one of Cyclescheme as I wanted disc brakes on my commuter and in this market its quite limited with road style bikes which can take some hammer but still do the weekend winter run out and less so for under a grand.

It seems great and suits my needs just a bit worried its going to be too heavy for 50-100 milers throughout winter.

goody

Veteran
I think as stock it's a couple of kilos heavier than a similarly priced conventional roadbike. You'll only notice the extra on the climbs and pulling away even then it probably won't make much difference to your overall average speed. I might be getting the frameset soon and slowly building it up over time, I had been after a steel Audax / light tourer / commuter and they seem like a very versatile bike. I think with some upgrades you can get the weight down considerably.

Room27

Regular
Sorry to hijack this thread, but has anyone used a Kaff 2 as a CX bike? I"m thinking lightish off road stuff rather than full on competition riding.

Barters

Thanks, I've changed the stem and post and tyres and dropped a bit of weight. Will change the wheel set over time as well.

Hi leodis I was wondering if you could let me know how the Kaffenback 2 is working out for you? I'm considering it for a winter training bike. My summer bike is 6.8kg, full Dura ace etc so really a summer bike.
I had thought about buying a Giant Defy which I can get on a good deal. However, leaning towards the PX which can take full mudguards and can run through just about any conditions.

Thanks!

Peter

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Hi leodis I was wondering if you could let me know how the Kaffenback 2 is working out for you? I'm considering it for a winter training bike. My summer bike is 6.8kg, full Dura ace etc so really a summer bike.
I had thought about buying a Giant Defy which I can get on a good deal. However, leaning towards the PX which can take full mudguards and can run through just about any conditions.

Thanks!

Peter

Will do Barters once I get it!! Should arrive on Friday and start commuting the following week and will pop a quick early review on here.

MaxWall

Leodis How does the Cycle to work scheme work with PX? Do I have to add the any charges made by the scheme to PX onto the price of the bike? Grateful for any clarification

Tks

OP
OP
Leodis

Leodis

Veteran
Any sign of it Leodis?

Saturday dude... Back to commuting Monday YAY

Barters

Cool! Well you need to put some pics up when you get her together!
I am really interested to hear your opinion on whether it would make a good winter training bike. I am looking either at the:
1. Kaffenback 2
2. Ribble Audax
3. Wilier road bike

Third one is a bit of a different choice!

YIMan

I have a Kaffenbach 2 (Tiagra). It's noticeable no lightweight just from the schoolboy pick-up test......but I doubt I'll notice it for commuting and winter riding. I may upgrade the wheels in time - I've bought a separate wheel for turbo training and the normal rear wheel is a real weight so with a bit of investment I'm sure you could save a bit of weight.

I haven't seen anything close to the Kaffenbach for the price - it's noticeably cheaper than say Genesis Croix de Fer or Cotic X which I doubt weigh any less.

Let's face it, if you're buying a bike like the Kaffenbach (all weather/all purpose toughie).....weight isn't going to be your highest priority.

Barters

I actually decided to go a different direction. I have a Canyon Inflite 8.0 S on order. More expensive than the Kaff but I felt better value given what you get eg full 105 group, Mavic cross ride wheels, carbon fork & seat post, alu frame, shimano Cx-77 disc brakes, whole package about 9kg & you can even get it with full sks fenders custom designed for it.
Shame I need to wait a month. I think that might partly be down to supply constraints on the disc brakes. The 77s replace the 75s which shimano recalled.

Last edited:

Nico

I like the Canyon shame it does not have rack mounts. I had a Croix de Fer (heavy but great otherwise) before it got stolen a few weeks ago so I may be looking for a replacement soon...

Top Bottom