Apollo Phaze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have recently got back into cycling (posted a few times already) and have been on my £180 Phaze from Halfords quite a bit over the weekend. Having given it a good ride out now, it seems to have alot of niggly but annoying problems. It is due its 6 week check this week with problems like gear slipping, clicking when peddling and an annoying 'rubbing' noise coming from the back wheel. I just looked earlier and the back leg doesnt even look as through its running level.
The tyres have already been changed to slicks but its still hard work and hasnt been overly enjoyable - I have fallen into the trap of price. After only 6 weeks I could well be on my way to the LBS for some proper advice....and a roadie

gary in derby

cycling should carry a government health warning.
something like!
cycling can seriously damage your wallet.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
It sounds like the bike has been badly set up; the problem with Halfords is some branches have good mechanics but it's usually a matter of chance.

I'm not sure what you mean by back leg. Is the wheel fouling the frame or the brakes?

As to hard work, yes, it is....:blush:

OP
OP
B

bikebikebike

Regular
I think I must have been unlucky but lets see how they get on rectifying the problems...I cant actually see where the rubbing noise is coming from. I just can see the wheel isnt running aligned.

sidevalve

Über Member
The rubbing [assuming the rear wheel isn't way off line] may well be the brakes, that won't help the effort needed. A road bike will be easier to push but [unless you fit an engine] it's still gonna take a bit of time to get back into riding [trust me,I'm still doing it !] Best to get a list together and present the mechanics at Halfords with a specific set of "things to fix". If that fails You need to complain and complain loudly.

OP
OP
B

bikebikebike

Regular
I think its coming from the plastic bit (sorry not sure what its called) on the rear wheel in between the chain and wheel. It doesnt look to be running straight when I looked last night and seems to make the click from there. I have also noticed when peddling, particularly when giving it some 'welly', I can feel clicking through the pedals so maybe this is related.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sorry to say this but you shouldn't have bought that cheap bike. The problem with cheap bikes is that they weigh a ton and are almost impossible to maintain because the components are so badly made so you will always have niggly and annoying problems.

Sell it and buy something without suspension for around £300-£400, you will then be on the first rung of the ladder to quality and enjoyment.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
If things aren't working correctly then you should definately make the store fix it, otherwise you will not enjoy riding the bike. Although very cheap, the bike should still function properly and the "clicking" you can feel through the pedals is probably where the gears haven't been set up correctly. This is especially more noticable under load (when you give it some welly). If you are still not satisfied after they have fixed the niggles, then ask if you can pay a bit more and upgrade to a higher spec bike.

Other option would be as Globalti says, sell it and get another, but you might only get £60 or £70. The trouble with Halfords (in my experience) is that they often try to argue that there's nothing wrong, so refunds etc can be tricky.

clum94

well with the Phaze, because it is mechanical disks (I think) the brake cables will stretch so that when the rear brake was originally set up the brake pads may have had a distance of 1mm on either side of the disk, so when the cable stretches, this gap increases because of the way the brake works. That could be a problem with the noise.

Then for the gears slipping its kind of the same deal, with the cables stretching, although its not usually a problem in my experience. So give it a good greasing and let Halfords know about it. After your 6 week check see if it is still having problems take it back in and say your not happy, it will usually get another check for free (Even though there shouldn't be a problem and you shouldn't have to be messed around :smile: )

Sandra6

Veteran
There are always problems with the apollos in the first six weeks -atleast. That's why they tell you to go back for a check.
They should be able to sort out anything - make sure you tell them exactly what is bothering you, and afterwards take it for a spin and if you're still not happy go straight back.
Unfortunately some things may well be down to the quality of the bike -which is what you paid for. There are reasons why they're cheap.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
All bikes need a little adjusting at first, it's not rocket science. Plenty of videos on youtube if you aren't sure. Gear slipping and clicking can be sorted in a couple of minutes - just adjust the knurled nut where the gear cable attaches to the rear gear.

Top Bottom