Approach to junction?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nebulous

Guru
Hi folks - I'm interested in your views on positioning for this junction here.

Ashgrove Road West

It is a staggered junction with an unusual layout. To go straight ahead vehicles need to be in the left lane, and then immediately after the road to the right they have to pull out a lane as the left lane becomes left-turn. On the lead-up to the junction there are usually cars parked on the left-hand side, so cars are often in the outer lane first. On my commute I need to turn right.

Almost regardless of what I do cars pass very close - in an attempt to beat me to the lights. I need to take a strong position in the run-up to the junction if there are cars parked, to avoid car doors, but cars will stream past - often following each other without thinking about me at all. If I indicate and pull out even further fairly early it annoys people and occasionally if there is no traffic coming they will still overtake me and then swing back into the other lane to go straight ahead. I sometimes find myself with a line of cars overtaking a fair bit faster than me and struggling to get out into the outer lane until I'm closer to the junction than I would like.

So what do you think is the best approach?

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
That is an awkward situation.

I would personally remain in primary position (out of door zone) until you reach about 2/3 parked cars before the junction. Then signal and constantly shoulder check. if noone lets you out then start to move out very slowly and eventually someone will have to give way to you.
The ke to doing this is signalling and shoulder checking.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Not sure if I'm understandnig thios correctly... but if you're turning right then simply take the right hand lane (primary position). Clearly this may irritate some drivers depending on what speed you're doing, but if you're trying to stay out of the door zone of the cars parked in the left hand lane (double yellows there???) then you're in the right hand lane anyway so best to try and control the traffic around you, IMO.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not sure if I'm understandnig thios correctly... but if you're turning right then simply take the right hand lane (primary position). Clearly this may irritate some drivers depending on what speed you're doing, but if you're trying to stay out of the door zone of the cars parked in the left hand lane (double yellows there???) then you're in the right hand lane anyway so best to try and control the traffic around you, IMO.

This ^^^
Take control of the lane. If it upset's drivers behind you then that's tough on them.

Id echo the above about holding a strong primary, but if its a junction where I'm going to have to stop, I'd move another couple of feet right and allow undertaking; IME that makes it clear that I'm turning right and presents a bigger window to my left which drivers go through rather than overtaking me.

OP
OP
N

Nebulous

Guru
I'm not sure that I explained myself very well.

It's on a slope with a long lead-in to the junction. The road is fairly wide, traffic travels quite quickly and where it goes from 1 lane to 2 is not clearly delineated. I'm quite clear that I need to take up a good position in the outer lane - but the question is at what point. I used to have a lot of people squeezing past quite late because I wasn't being dominant enough. After a few annoying instances of very close overtakes I have been much more assertive, moving out sooner, but as I said last time even in primary in the right-hand lane I've had people overtake. They then have to swing in quite a bit more. I think HLaB's idea of moving even further over, allowing people the opportunity to undertake has to be worth a try.

I appreciate there is no 'correct' answer. Finding a way which encourages one driver to back off a bit may just anger somebody else, however I want to play the percentages and reduce the risk.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Id echo the above about holding a strong primary, but if its a junction where I'm going to have to stop, I'd move another couple of feet right and allow undertaking; IME that makes it clear that I'm turning right and presents a bigger window to my left which drivers go through rather than overtaking me.

+1 On that.

- but the question is at what point.
Well early - at least back at the bus stop where the lane starts would be my choice. Lots of looking beforehand. And lots of signalling (more than few that may not be sanctioned by the HC)

however I want to play the percentages and reduce the risk.

A much earlier right turn, up by Cornhill Primary School?

Top Bottom