Aravis frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Has anyone got one of these Aravis fast touring frames from Byer Cycles, and do you have a photo. I'm idly pondering getting a replacement frame and this is close to what I want, but the decals or paintwork looks minging in this picture. Is it as bad as that in real life?

http://www.byercycles.co.uk/bikeprice 01- 01- 08/02B.html

Also, I notice one of Hewitt's frames is called Aravis. Does it mean something?

Greenbank

Über Member
I've got the non-compact geometry version (a.k.a the Aravis Audax):-

http://www.greenbank.org/bikes/aravis.jpg

I believe the frames are imported by Autostrada (01543 483155) and rebadged by Hewitt, Aravis and Henry Burton.

Autostrada can supply in a range of colours. Byers (where I bought my Aravis from) said that I could have the bike in red or blue within 2 weeks, any other colour would require 6 weeks so I went for the red.

I think the blue is a metallic blue which does look nicer than in the photo on Byer's site.

yello

I think the blue is a metallic blue which does look nicer than in the photo on Byer's site.

Indeed it does. I have a Byers' Aravis in blue - though I'm not sure I'd describe it as metallic. The decals are certainly less in your face than on that pic.

hi greenbank
nice bike! can i ask where you got those light brackets? i want to mount lights on the seat stays too, but can't find brackets that go small enough. i know i could pack out a normal seatpost bracket, but if there's a better way....:-)
cheers, velocidad.

Greenbank

Über Member
Bog standard Cateye BS-3 or BS-5 (depending on diameter of your seatstay).

Go to your LBS and asked them.

With a short-arse frame like mine (54cm) the seatstay angle means you can't get the lights perfectly vertical, but as long as you aren't mounting anything as bright as a Smart Superflash it's ok.

531c

Yellow Fang said:
Also, I notice one of Hewitt's frames is called Aravis. Does it mean something?

I think the frame must be named after the Col des Aravis. It's a lovely picturesque climb in the northern French alps.

yello

531c said:
I think the frame must be named after the Col des Aravis. It's a lovely picturesque climb in the northern French alps.

And one I have been meaning to do... on my Aravis... and take the compulsory photo at the top!

Moondog

I have a blue Byers' touring cycle with the straight handlebars.
The colour is a good,honest, bright blue,the paintwork impeccable.
Perhaps Byers could source a frame without the Aravis decals.
Nice bike,even nicer folk.

yello

Moondog said:
Nice bike,even nicer folk.

I'd agree with that. Completely. A nicer block, you couldn't wish to meet.

Top Bottom