Arch of York..was this you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

abchandler said:
Can we make this 'can have' please? We don't all...

Fairy Nuff

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
Arch, why don't you tell your story of falling upsidedown in a ditch and having to be rescued:evil::biggrin:

Oh, you think anyone will want to hear it?

Ok.

I was out on a group ride, and lagging a bit, because it had got hilly. And hot, so I wanted to stop and take my long sleeved top off. I pulled over to the side of the country lane, and slowed, preparatory to stopping. Now, I have short legs, and generally need to come off the saddle to put a foot down, but I could see that the grass verge was quite high, like a kerb, so I didn't bother, I just put a foot out and leaned. And leaned. It wasn't a high verge, it was a low verge, lower than the tarmac, with long grass. I kept leaning until my foot hit bottom and I did a complete 180 degree roll over, slithering into the ditch under the hedge, coming to rest upside down the top of my head in a small puddle, still 'on' the bike, feet on pedals, hands on bars, wheels spinning slightly.

Luckily, I wasn't at the very back of the ride, and the two dawdlers behind me (one of whom was my ex-employer!) were able to pull me out, because for a moment I was quite unable to move, wedged in.

Most days, I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards, that day I even had the leaves in my hair to prove it.

Looking back, I so wish someone had got it on video. Even I laughed about it, once I was upright again.

Arch said:
Oh, you think anyone will want to hear it?

Ok.

I was out on a group ride, and lagging a bit, because it had got hilly. And hot, so I wanted to stop and take my long sleeved top off. I pulled over to the side of the country lane, and slowed, preparatory to stopping. Now, I have short legs, and generally need to come off the saddle to put a foot down, but I could see that the grass verge was quite high, like a kerb, so I didn't bother, I just put a foot out and leaned. And leaned. It wasn't a high verge, it was a low verge, lower than the tarmac, with long grass. I kept leaning until my foot hit bottom and I did a complete 180 degree roll over, slithering into the ditch under the hedge, coming to rest upside down the top of my head in a small puddle, still 'on' the bike, feet on pedals, hands on bars, wheels spinning slightly.

Luckily, I wasn't at the very back of the ride, and the two dawdlers behind me (one of whom was my ex-employer!) were able to pull me out, because for a moment I was quite unable to move, wedged in.

Most days, I look like I've been dragged through a hedge backwards, that day I even had the leaves in my hair to prove it.

Looking back, I so wish someone had got it on video. Even I laughed about it, once I was upright again.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gromit said:
It wasn't Arch she wears a helmet even on a trike. :thumbsdown:

No I don't. But don't tell my mother.:biggrin:

I am wearing it today, but it's icy out there. Lately, I've been wearing my fleece hat, for warmth...

Davidc

Guru
Arch - Can't you just go back there and do it all over again but next time with a full camera crew videoing it? It would be much more fun on You Tube than peoples boring commutes!!!!

Arch said:
:tongue: I see I've stepped up from "Arch is a girl!?" - that's what hitting 40 does for you...

No, it wasn't me, but poor girl, she did have a lucky escape. Thank god my mother didn't hear about it. She half convinced herself that my flat had been consumed by the fire at the Minster stoneyard last week (I live within about 500 yards of the Minster), then remembered she'd spoken to me since it happened...

I'm pretty cautious on the snow - I was walking bits today with other cyclists coming past in the saddle, but I really don't fancy a tumble.

You need that Catrike Dash

My Expedition is managing brilliantly

Another strong case in favour of rear lights in flashing mode, I think (though the scenario does seem one of the less probable in the cycling experience). Would a rear in steady mode have been recognised by the motorist for what it was? Perhaps this detail saved her life....:tongue:

Davidc said:
Arch - Can't you just go back there and do it all over again but next time with a full camera crew videoing it? It would be much more fun on You Tube than peoples boring commutes!!!!
A propos, and nothing to do with cycling I'm afraid - this brings back memories of an incident back in my teens. On holiday with my parents boating on the Norfolk Broads, we (being the very amateur boatmen we were) had run our craft aground, and I was helping to push us off with a long pole (quant I think it was called). I made a false move, pole got stuck in the mud and I was marooned perched on it in the classic Punch cartoon manner. It didn't last long, after a few seconds teetering I plunged into the drink below. A guy on a passing boat was fiddling with an 8mm movie camera (no videos in those days!) at that moment, and was gutted that he hadn't caught my antics in shot. He called over to my dad "could you ask him to do it again please?"

We didn't oblige...:biggrin:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
wafflycat said:
Chesticles are very different to moobs. Ladies have chesticles, not moobs. Only the male of the species has moobs

Where is the obligatory 'this thread is useless without pictures' comment under such circumstances? I've read the whole thread and can't find it?

yenrod

Arch said:
:biggrin: I see I've stepped up from "Arch is a girl!?" - that's what hitting 40 does for you...

No, it wasn't me, but poor girl, she did have a lucky escape. Thank god my mother didn't hear about it. She half convinced herself that my flat had been consumed by the fire at the Minster stoneyard last week (I live within about 500 yards of the Minster), then remembered she'd spoken to me since it happened...

I'm pretty cautious on the snow - I was walking bits today with other cyclists coming past in the saddle, but I really don't fancy a tumble.

I thought you were about 55 or something...

:tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Davidc said:

I fear I could never recreate it - if I tried, I'd be too tense and muck it up and snap my neck or something. As it was, it all happened so fast, I just rolled with it....

Yenrod - cheers....:biggrin::sad:

Cunobelin, I know, Pete came in on his Russian trike today and I envied him, especially as I pushed through two inches of something resembling light muscovado sugar at each end to reach the clear road.

Just to rub it in

P1070053.jpg

Top Bottom