Are Aero-bars good and are they comfortable to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berty bassett

Legendary Member
i've got them fitted and i like them . if i go on a long ride its nice to drop down every now and then just to have an extra position to get in - what is comfy after you get used to it, if i see a long straight with wind against then i can tuck up and if i want to have a little blast on a quiet road then i do so if its safe. i wouldn't use them if there is alot of traffic about but i am lucky enough to live where there isn't too much , also i wouldn't ride behind someone using them . i think they are very good as long as you use them sensibly much the same as anything else you use- there is danger in everything you do in daily life if you have the GERONIMO attitude

Nosaj

What helped for me with the clip on aerobars is to attach them so that the pads are as far as way from the stem as possible. This enabled me to get used to the position without the twitchiness. I was also able to corner whilst on the bars. I have moved them in slowly over a period of time to allow my body to get adjusted to the position. They are now about 1 cm away from the stem and as I have got used to the position the initial twitchiness problem has almost become moot. It also took me a while to actually let my elbows take the strain on the pads.

I have also moved my saddle forward (almost as far as it will go) but I am still riding TT's on the nose of (a non tri) saddle which is not very nice. You must remember to move the saddle up a bit when you move forward.

Be aware just adding aerobars may not make you aerodynamic. The first photo I saw of me on the aero bars I was about as aerodynamic as an airsock. It seems that since I have bought my bars I constantly seem to be tweaking my position week after week. A mirror/video camera and a turbo come in handy!

Agree with the comment about climbing on the tri bars. If I am huffing up a hill at 15 mph aerodynamics becomes somewhat secondary I am usually on the drops trying to leverage as much powers as I can blasting along a downhill gradient at 30mph + it is however very significant. They also help in a headwind.

But I use mine only for TT's, although they are physically on the bike I will not use them in a club run

on the road

Über Member
Well I bought aero bars in the Edinburgh bike sale, fitted them and had a go last night. I'm not sure how much difference they made speedwise, but I definitely felt less stable, and the position felt strange. It felt as though I was using my quads more than usual.

I'm supposed to have a confined TT tonight, but even that wont give me an accurate comparison, as our regular course is closed due to road repairs.
I felt less stable the first time I used them, the reason I think I felt less stable was because I was going slow but once I picked speed they felt normal.

You might have to minor adjustmeants, I moved mine a bit further apart and it felt a bit better.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Only problem I have had is lack of control in cross winds. If you have aero rims, the deeper they are the worse the effect. The longer wheel base on a TT bike helps prevent this effect. Take care when it's windy.

Blue

Legendary Member
Constant tweaking is required in the search for the elusive 'perfect' position on aerobars. For this reason it is wise to ensure that any bars purchased are adjustable in as many plains as possible.

Nebulous

Guru
Well we did 8 miles last night, and its very difficult to compare, as there were a lot of changes to the group and obviously a different course. It probably was better - particularly as we had a strong headwind on the way back. I didn't spend all the time on the bars and still feel uncomfortable, but hopefully that will come.

Top Bottom