Are all neoprene gloves just the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
These work very well with a pair of silk liner gloves. I find medium fits very comfortably.

Screenshot_20220311-214434_Chrome.jpg

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Can you get black marigolds (even if just sold to kinksters)?
How do marigolds stand up to riding wear?
The black ones are extra tough (relative to the normal yellow ones, at least)
https://www.wilko.com/marigold-large-extra-tough-outdoor-gloves/p/0417429

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I've been looking at gloves for winter, my son needs some for watersports, cycling and other outdoor activities. Neoprene gloves are best for watersports but seem to be popular for cycling too. That makes me wonder about the differences.

Both have similar neoprene I guess, 1.5 to 5mm I think for watersports but I'm guessing lower end for cycling, say 2mm. Both have grippy palms and fingers, because they're used to grip wet bar. Cycling ones are perhaps featured differently with features like reflective.

Just what really makes them different? Buy one is it good for the other uses?

Reason for enquiry is that I've just bought our son watersports neoprene gloves and need to buy cycling gloves for him. I reckon I'll get him to try these gloves. I just wondered if anyone has tried using their gloves for the other activity?
I bought a pair from Aldi, used them over winter. Can’t say my hands were ever cold but they did get quite sweaty. Better suited for water IMO .

I bought a pair from Aldi, used them over winter. Can’t say my hands were ever cold but they did get quite sweaty. Better suited for water IMO .
Yes I'd only wear them in wet weather. If it's just cold you don't need waterproof gloves.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
No such thing as one handed gloves? I give you mittens.

"Ah", I hear you cry, "If they've only a thumb and a hand section they're not gloves" then I'll leave you to tell the boxers they're wearing mittens. :okay:
Eh? I've handed as in plural gloves both for one hand. Boxing gloves are handed as in left handed glove or right handed glove. Together they're gloves.

Similarly most mittens are handed, the thumb being a bit off centreline towards the palm. Even cheaper knitted and kids ones have this effect. You can tell by the region between the thumb and the rest of the hand, there's often a thin bit where it is joined slightly off centre with knitted mitts. More technical mittens for outdoors or boxing it's more obvious because of the palmwards curve built into the mitts.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
@Time Waster Which Neoprene gloves have you now bought?
Alder brand for the lad. I've not seen cycling ones in person but they look in photos online to have less seams than the watersports ones I bought for the lad. I bought a pair a long time ago for kayaking and they were a real performance improvement over pogies (nylon and neoprene versions). I think mine are better made and designed more for kayaking.

I doubt these alder ones will be good for cycling because of the seams and design. I think mine were palm or peak.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Recently bought these and must say I'm impressed for price. Was skeptical about the waterproofness but they held up well recently. Touchscreen compatible is a bit of a novelty as they are too thick to be precise enough to use a phone.

Top Bottom