Are scenic 20-30 mile rides in the Hebden Bridge area of interest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just mentioned in another thread that my forum rides have been gradually getting longer and harder and I suspect that it is putting many people off. I certainly do not get as many riders turning out as I used to.

So, I wondered if any of you would be interested in doing shorter rides? It is a very hilly area so there will always be hills on my rides, some steep, but perhaps tackling 20-30 miles (~30-50 km) worth of them would be more appealing to you than double those distances?

One thing I did in the past was to organise rides as 2 loops from Hebden Bridge with a cafe stop at the end of the first loop. Anybody wanting a longer ride could come along on the second loop as well.

If there is interest in shorter rides then I will organise some. Post below if you would like that! :okay:

doughnut

Veteran
I always keep an eye out for your rides Colin. I think I've just got a busy life though, because they are constantly clashing with other stuff I've got on. Gutted that I missed the 200k ride you organised last year due to having a cold as well.

Had some family issues in the last couple of weeks, so I am travelling around relatives this weekend to sort stuff out. Otherwise I would be out with you on Saturday.

I live about 30 miles and 3000ft from Todmorden/Hebden Bridge, which means I need to drive for your longer rides (which is no problem). If you had a shorter ride I could get a train to Halifax and ride all the way back including your ride in the middle. I'm still stuck with clashes though - March to December is sailing season and that takes every Sunday out of my calendar.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I always keep an eye out for your rides Colin. I think I've just got a busy life though, because they are constantly clashing with other stuff I've got on. Gutted that I missed the 200k ride you organised last year due to having a cold as well.

Had some family issues in the last couple of weeks, so I am travelling around relatives this weekend to sort stuff out. Otherwise I would be out with you on Saturday.

I live about 30 miles and 3000ft from Todmorden/Hebden Bridge, which means I need to drive for your longer rides (which is no problem). If you had a shorter ride I could get a train to Halifax and ride all the way back including your ride in the middle. I'm still stuck with clashes though - March to December is sailing season and that takes every Sunday out of my calendar.
The 200k is on again this year on June 3rd. My companion Littgull will not be driving us to it this year so we will probably be catching the train to Manchester Victoria and starting the ride from there. It means doing about 15 kms out of Manchester in the morning and the same back in the evening so the Cheshire part of the ride would be reduced to just over 170 km.

I hope the family issues resolve themselves shortly!

Which train would you get to Halifax that didn't stop at Todmorden and/or Hebden Bridge on the way? :whistle: It would seem a bit odd to go through where the ride started and then have to ride back to it from a different station! :okay:

If we knew that you were riding home we could incorporate part of your return ride into our second loop.

All of the big rides so far planned for this year are on Saturdays except for 2 audax rides on Sundays (SITD and SoM), and the TdY sportive. Sometimes though, a Saturday ride might get put back a day if we had appalling weather on the Saturday but a good forecast for the Sunday.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ah yes, didn't realise Tod and HB were on the same line.
They are on the same line as the Halifax train if you are coming from Manchester Victoria.

If you come on the Blackpool train via Preston, the train goes through Burnley to Hebden Bridge and bypasses Tod.

There is also another service now from Blackburn to Tod via Burnley since 'Tod Curve' has been restored. That service does not go via Hebden Bridge.

si_c

Guru
I'd enjoy shorter rides also, would make an effort to get to them, the problem I have is that your longer rides just start too early for me to realistically get to. A 30-50 miler starting around 10am is a possibility.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
As an irregular cycling visitor, usually via Rochdale to the edge of Tod and then over to Bacup, I'd love to come on some of your rides, but in general I can't do Saturdays, unless out of school term time, due to a club I help to run.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

As an irregular cycling visitor, usually via Rochdale to the edge of Tod and then over to Bacup, I'd love to come on some of your rides, but in general I can't do Saturdays, unless out of school term time, due to a club I help to run.
Other people have said similar in the past. I could organise some of the rides on Sundays.

Tell you what - I'll alternate them and will make the first one a Sunday! :okay:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi Colin.

I would very much be interested in the shorter blasts due to .....

A) a lack of stamina
B) Total Out time, i.e driving time + riding time.

Unfortunately I don't have a very understanding partner & don't think she would be very happy with a full day away cycling + my RL away time.

I shall have to think of some cunning forfeits in return while she has our 5 year old to entertain.

It may well be the Mcr > Llandudno run before I see you, unless I can get a training run in over your way.

Top Bottom