Are Shimano R685 any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
U

User33236

Use to have all this years back in MTB World - this brake is better than that brake etc etc.

Tbh - they all worked pretty much the same. Pull the lever and you slow down or come to a complete stop.

Once you get beyond different pads, adjustment mechanisms and weight; a hydraulic brake is a hydraulic brake.

Much money will be spent on making consumers think otherwise...

...with considerable success too.
My current bike was fitted with Promax Render R mechanical disc brakes when I bought it which were pretty rubbish. I upgraded these to Avid BB7 which were a big improvement. On a wet commute in traffic I know which I'd rather use ^_^

I am now in a postition I will very likely have to look at a replacement bike and am assuming that the Shimano R685 will as good, or better, than BB7. The posts above seem to confirm this.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My current bike was fitted with Promax Render R mechanical disc brakes when I bought it which were pretty rubbish. I upgraded these to Avid BB7 which were a big improvement. On a wet commute in traffic I know which I'd rather use ^_^

I am now in a postition I will very likely have to look at a replacement bike and am assuming that the Shimano R685 will as good, or better, than BB7. The posts above seem to confirm this.

Decent pads, right size rotor that stays cool and nothing else makes much difference.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Once you get beyond different pads, adjustment mechanisms and weight; a hydraulic brake is a hydraulic brake.

Yebbut not all the brakes mentioned upthread are hydraulics...

I had a go on a Cannondale CAAD10 Disc fitted with SRAM Rival hydraulics the other day. I'm not a big fan of the SRAM DoubleTap shifting, so I would choose Shimano over SRAM for that reason (maybe that's just because I'm more used to Shimano though). Aesthetically, the SRAM levers are pretty ugly, with a very tall top part to fit the reservoir in, but that actually makes them quite nice to use - it feels more secure when you're riding on the hoods.

But when it comes to braking performance, there's really nothing to choose between them - both are excellent. Given the option, I would definitely choose either above cable disc brakes. Cable brakes offer plenty enough power, but hydraulics are just so much nicer to use.

OP
OP
U

User33236

After commuting for a week or so on the new bike with R685 I absolutely love them. Had BB7 on the previous commuter and they just dont compare.

OP
OP
U

User33236

Which bike did you end up getting SG ?
Got the Fuji Sportif 1.1 LE.

Chose it for a number of reasons e.g good spacing for wider tyres if I wish, mounting points for full mudguards, same gear ratios that I changed my last commuter to and of course the hydraulic brakes.

They do it quite a bit cheaper with BB7, I think, but I knew I'd very likely end up splashing out on the hydraulics anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Quick update...

Until last weekend, the only full hydraulics I'd used were Shimano, but I went for a ride on a bike fitted with SRAM Red HydroR and... yeah, just as good as the Shimano and I'm honestly not sure I could really tell the difference.

Both definitely a class apart from mechanical discs though.

Top Bottom