Aren't ospreys brilliant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Roy Dennis on the Moray Firth has been satellite tracking individual ospreys migrating for a couple of years now (and ringing the birds for years). I've been following the journeys of these half dozen or so birds twice each year with increasing fascination and wonder. Take a look at this link- an osprey called Talisman left Scotland on the 24th and reached the Spanish coast- 1100 or so miles later after a non-stop flight. He's heading for West Africa so hope he gets past the Sahara. Check out Osprey

Globalti

Legendary Member
Amazing. Does he use SIS to keep him going?

longers

Legendary Member
Does he use SIS to keep him going?

Flapjack perhaps but it probably tastes of fish.

Amazing journey.

Is it a myth that the area around Spain and Portugal carries a very high risk of being shot at for migratory birds?

atbman

Veteran
Is it a myth that the area around Spain and Portugal carries a very high risk of being shot at for migratory birds?

It didn't used to be a myth, but the shooting was put an end to by Harrison Ford, as told in his famous film "Aiders of the Roast Lark"

gbb

Legendary Member
Been lucky enough to see one sitting in trees about 100 yards away on one of my rides...unmistakable with its 'booted' talons.

They have a presence over at Rutland Water and my dad's seen them (rarely) flying high from that direction toward the Nene Washes. This one would have been making that 'flight plan' i suspect.

Fabulous birds.

gbb

Legendary Member
Flapjack perhaps but it probably tastes of fish.

Amazing journey.

I suspect thats no myth, shooting birds is prevelent round much of the Med. Certainly a family i know in Cyprus shoot and eat small birds...although i suspect an Osprey may be a tad too large for the barbecue.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Been lucky enough to see one sitting in trees about 100 yards away on one of my rides...unmistakable with its 'booted' talons.

They have a presence over at Rutland Water and my dad's seen them (rarely) flying high from that direction toward the Nene Washes. This one would have been making that 'flight plan' i suspect.

Fabulous birds.

I'd love to see one- never have though often look up in case one's passing over in Spring or Autumn. What the tracking has showed is what brilliant navigators they are - finding reservoirs and rivers they 'remember' from previous migrations. One of the ospreys called Red 8T headed out in totally the wrong direction (ESE) at first but somehow over Belgium, righted his course, and is now on track for Gibraltar. He was a chick this year so looked doomed but now seems to be OK. As for hunting, I think Spain is safer than places like Cyprus and Malta where smaller birds (like swallows and chiff chaffs) are regularly shot or netted.

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I looked at this thread thinking it might be about rugby!

Yes I wondered about that. As a Norwich fan I would be disappointed by a 'Canaries' thread title that was about birds or Atlantic Islands!

Foghat

Freight-train-groove-rider
Saw many of these in Baja, perched on top of thunderingly large cactus, tearing fish apart a la:

872061409_d31f6d2199.jpg

snorri

Legendary Member
I'd love to see one-
I could arrange that. If you were prepared to do a bit of housework for me, I would allow you to look out the window now and again and, when the tide is right, you might well see one fishing, eating a fish, or carrying one away to feed the bairns. ;)
They are actually quite difficult to identify when flying around with other sea birds, but when they hover and then dive, there are no doubts.:smile:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
We have ospreys nesting on the tops of the telegraph poles here. And I used to think they were so exotic! They are still amazing to watch.

davefb

Guru
pfft 1100 miles...

you can't get better than migrating from one pole to the other :biggrin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_Tern

"The average Arctic Tern lives about twenty years, and will travel about 2.4 million km (1.5 million mi)." ... average might be 20,, but
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11375618
that fella was found to be 30 ;) ( oldest uk, but not world)..

theres a few experiments now with tiny transmitters, the info being gathered is amazing, seem to recall they tagged some geese last year, that go from norway to the uk... they had the tracking data live on a website so you could 'see' the birds as they suddenly decide 'right now i'll go for it' :biggrin:

think this is the right link...
http://www.wwt.org.uk/our-work/wetland-wildlife/barnacle-geese

( though yeah,, ospreys ARE brilliant! seen one once I think, years ago in scotland)

Jezston

Über Member
It didn't used to be a myth, but the shooting was put an end to by Harrison Ford, as told in his famous film "Aiders of the Roast Lark"

I'm going to tell you to get your coat for that, but I liked it too so I've replaced your coat with a big fancy pimp coat.

Top Bottom