Around Bristol Cycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgarl10024

Über Member
Hi all,

I'm currently on holiday from work for a couple of weeks, and yesterday we (me and my girlfriend) took advantage of the good weather and enjoyed a lovely day of cycling around Bristol, which I thought I'd try to share with you (I've added in lots of links for non-Bristolians).

We started off by cycling to the old Mangotsfield Railway Station - it's an old steam railway station which is now largely derelict, but still contains the platforms and if you look carefully some of the original floor tiles inside the grounds. It forms part of the Bristol/Bath Railway Track (map here).

From there, we headed into central Bristol. It was a really chilly morning (only a few degrees) so we were really wrapped up and could see our breath in the air. We then went into the Staple Hill Tunnel - a 0.3 mile dark and damp tunnel. On a hot Summer's day the tunnel is refreshingly cool, but on that morning we shot through it at speed, dodging the water drops falling from above.

Heading further into Bristol, we were passed by an older man on his bike who cheerily wished us a good morning. We then reached the end of the track and got slightly lost. We consulted our maps and went on a bit further, arriving in an industrial estate. We looked around again lost, when a guy stood by a lorry called over 'if you want the cycle track, it's down there...'. A quick "thank you" and we were off again, and as per this map found our way to Temple Meads Railway Station where we could hear the morning trains being announced. From there, we went on to Queen Square.

From there, we followed this Ashton to Pill map. It took us past the picturesque Harbour, along "The Chocolate Path" (the surface was like the top of a Daily Milk bar), across an old iron footbridge, then onto the path that followed the South side of the River Avon. The day had started to warm up, and we were able to get some excellent views of the Clifton Suspension Bridge from underneath, the top of the Observatory poking just into sight, and the stunning Avon Gorge.

Following the river, the path was a mixture of loose chippings and mud tracks. I felt the wheels of my hybrid wanting to slip out occasionally, but we just took it really steady and it added a little bit of a challenge to the ride. After about half hour of pootling and a short climb, we arrived at Pill.

We then stared up at the Avonmouth Bridge. It really is a monster. There is a really nicely done cycle track along it - about the width of a car lane - and you are segragated from the motorway which is helpful. However, it really was a climb for us. Half way up, my girlfriend was starting to struggle, however she was helped by a man who overtook her and gestured as he went past in a "you can do it, keep it going" way! At the top, we stopped and enjoyed the views - the visibility was fantastic - and we then descended down the other side to Shirehampton and Lawrence Weston. Lawrence Weston has a cycle track running through it which we used, coming off by the Lawrence Weston Community Farm (run by local volunteers).

On from there, we headed towards Blaise Castle which really was a climb. We went through the grounds which was packed with over-excited children enjoying their half-term, and stressed parents no-doubt counting the days until half-term was over. Henbury was next, then we climbed up into a very busy Cribbs Causeway and whilst cycling around it got some great views of The Mall shopping centre.

On the home straight, and with our legs getting a bit tired, we went onto Patchway and through the Aztec West business park (where we sniggered at all the people busily working, only too concious that would be us in a few weeks time). As darkness was setting in, we shot through Bradley Stoke, and onto home, arriving just as the Sun disappeared.

Overall, it was really enjoyable day. 34 miles covered, 4hrs 20 cycling time, some tired legs, and we'd even stopped on the way to visit not only my girlfriend's parents, but also snuck in some dinner with Nan. I'm also really proud of us both, as if you'd have said to us when buying our bikes (May this year) that we'd be doing 34 miles up and down hills and touring Bristol, we'd have thought you were mad!

Thanks for reading.

MG

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As a route I know all of that apart from the Patchway/Aztec West bit ... and it was a beautiful day yesterday ... so much better than today!!!

Beware on the Chocolate Path on cold misty mornings ... last October (ish) I was cycling along wondering why all the pedestrians looked drunk at 9 am in the morning ... "sudden though perhaps it might be icy - though it had been fine upto that point", stupidly pull on the brakes skid ... put a foot down and over in a second. Then it was such a skating rink I could barely stand up afterwards - who knows how I had managed to ride along it until that point. I think the damp air from the river had frozen on the tiled surface.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
sounds like a great day out. I visit Bristol occasionally and have done some of the routes you did. Havent done the avonmouth Bridge as yet.

I am hoping to do the Avon Trail sometime soon. Its an 85 mile circle around outskirts of bristol. Will probably take 2 days on it at a leisurely pace.

adds21

Rider of bikes
Thanks for that write up, sounds like a really nice ride. I know most of the routes you mentioned, but have never put them together. I know the Pill / Ashton track very well, I sometimes do it in the mornings if I'm in no hurry to get to work (it is quite a detour for me though, so I don't do it often).

Cyclist33

Ah it's like a trip down memory lane! I once took my bike down there (got family in Brizzle, see) and rode to Clifton Bridge, Ashton Court, Portbury and Portishead, Avon Bridge, Shirehampton and Blaise Castle. Lot's of puffing and panting but some nice sweeps downhill too!

Cheers

Stuart

PS Oh yeah, once stayed in Aztec West at a shitty hotel there!

Top Bottom