Arthritis and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Being a newbie to cycling im pleased to find a form of exercise suitable for a creaky old git like myself ^_^ I do have arthritis but not too bad yet and wondered if theirs anything to watch out for this condition [like overdoing it]. After my longest ride yet which included some decent hills i did have some pain in my right knee on the push down power stroke. I took a rest day today and hope that will do.

vickster

Legendary Member
Make sure your saddle is the correct height, and if you use cleats, that they are set up correctly. Also, get used to stretching regularly as certain muscles dominate when cyclists g and others are neglected. Heat good for stiffness, ice for swelling

Use your gears.
More pressure on the pedals equals more strain on your joints.
So you want a gear that gives you a comfortable cadence and a light pedal pressure.
Then try and keep this cadence/pressure no matter what.
So at the start of an uphill slope, don't push harder on the pedals, drop a gear or more to try and keep the light pressure.
You will climb the slope a little slower than if you try a muscle up it but you won't knacker your knees doing it.
At the top of the slope where you can speed up then climb the gears to try and keep the same feeling.
The only time you really need to work hard and put a lot of stress/strain on your knees is if you run out of gears down.
That the trick I use to help keep my knees pain free.

Luck ....... ^_^

Big John

Guru
I've had arthritis in my right knee for probably 15 years or so. It was bad enough to put an end to my running days but I was able to ride a bike, which is something I've done since I was a kid. Like folks have already said, don't push too big a gear. Spin rather than grind, as they say. As I've got older the arthritis must have got worse because now I can't honk it standing on the pedals but other than that I'm still able to thrash it if I'm in that sort of company. I don't take any meds either before or after a ride but I have been known to use the Volterol gel after long walks but never been so bad after a ride that I needed it.

To clear up a point.
To "spin" doesn't mean you have to have an ultra high cadence, it means that you keep the pressure on your pedals light.
On the flat, my most efficient cadence is around 80 rpm.
On hills, where I need to drop my power output to stop myself overheating, I drop to around 60rpm but I try to keep the same light pressure on my pedals.
It's only when I run out of downwards gears do I up the pressure on my pedals.

Luck ............ ^_^

D

Deleted member 1258

A little bit of arthritis in my right hip, can get painful at times but doesn't affect my cycling much but will do in the future, like others I try to spin and not push.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Great advice, thanks folks ^_^ As a newbie ive been trying to develop some leg strength so have been mainly grinding up hills...reading the comments i shall do more spinning as that makes sense .Facing a long steep drag of a hill the other day i realised i couldnt grind all the way so did indeed spin. On the way up i thought..hey this isnt so bad! as i made good progress and it wasnt that uncomfortable, got to the top and admired the view. ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
Not specifically cycling, but I have arthritis in my foot, base of the big toe. It made running chuffing painful and I had to bin that off. It hurts all then time, a background level of 2/10, but on the days I have a good walk it hurts a lot less than the days I'm idle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A little bit of arthritis in my right hip, can get painful at times but doesn't affect my cycling much but will do in the future, like others I try to spin and not push.
Ditto!

My dad was crippled before he was 60 by severe arthritis in both hips, so I do my best to look after mine.

I used to like jogging around the local lanes and bridleways but twinges in my hips started to make it obvious what would happen if I carried on. I switched to cycling and soon fitted lower gears to my bikes to suit the tough hills in these parts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom