Assembly grease recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
I have been using Shimano workshop grease but I'm not totally convinced by it as a assembly grease. So has anyone got any recommendations?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I either use standard bike grease on bearings etc, or copperslip if it's to stop stuff corroding together - like on BB cups, seat posts and that sort of stuff.

weevil

TheDoctor said:
I either use standard bike grease on bearings etc, or copperslip if it's to stop stuff corroding together - like on BB cups, seat posts and that sort of stuff.

So you wouldn't approve of the application of PTFE-loaded grease to a seatpost, which I witnessed in a local Half*rds recently? :biggrin:

Actually, that's a little unfair, as I've no evidence that any grease actually made it onto the seatpost: I only witnessed it being injected, by a bored-looking lad, into the seat tube of the freshly de-crated Boardman bike. I pity the poor punter who'll be taking the bike back because the saddle keeps turning.

Ivan Ardon

GrasB said:
my only concern with coppaslip is I'm not sure how well is reacts with rubber/plastic parts.

I've been fettling with it for the last 30 years on bicycles, motorcycles and cars and I've never seen anything rubber or plastic that reacted adversely.

I'm half way through my second tub!

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
Yeah, coppaslip is great stuff & I've never had a car part react to coppaslip but I have had the odd plastic parts tub go weird after contact with coppaslip. Add this to a few warnings about grease in the instructions & I'm a little bit cautious going in with coppaslip.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
weevil said:
So you wouldn't approve of the application of PTFE-loaded grease to a seatpost, which I witnessed in a local Half*rds recently? :biggrin:

Well, it doesn't sound all that great an idea. I use Copperslip because I saw it recommended in C+ once. And I like the colour...

Top Bottom