Assembly paste or grease?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr. Cow

Über Member
Apologies as I know this is a common ask but I've tried googling and I'm still none the wiser :wacko:

My bike is odd in that the seat post goes OVER the seat tube. Both the post and tube are carbon fibre, but the tube is painted.
When I take the seat off there is some sort of gel/grease (I'm not sure if it's seen in the photos). I *think* whats already on there from the factory is carbon fibre assembly paste, as it has a clearish "gritty" paste type substance on it.

Does this sound about right for carbon on carbon, albeit with a painted seat tube? I'm guessing assembly paste won't do the paint any good but the seatpost will cover it anyway, assuming I don't want to put it higher.

Ta :smile:

PXL_20230409_100051209.jpg

PXL_20230409_100422496.jpg

Looks like carbon paste. Do not use grease.

Thanks all, paste it is then

Trek emonda. Weird in't it? I'm dubious about the strength of the tube Vs a post that slides into it, I'd like to think they've thought this through!?

I thing gripping a carbon tube in a clamp to resist vertical forces is a problem. Does this reversed post sit on a shelf or shoulder or does the clamp resist vertical forces.

Top Bottom