Assos bib shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fudgedog

Thinking about buying a pair. I've have a pair of dhb's at the moment, they are ok up to 60 miles or so but then I ineveitably get pain in sit bones. Are Assos worth the money

PS I've tried usual fixes seat height, seat position and confess trying another saddle

brockers

The padding is thicker than any short I've had before, and a totally different design to any other short on the market. It's a bit like wearing a nappy made of bubble wrap the first time you put them on. The company that makes the padding doesn't offer the design to any other short manufacturer either. (I think that the padding on the Mille is slightly thicker than the Uno so it's even more luxurious if you want to push the boat out even further!) They come up quite small - the fit is meant to be tight and the leg is shorter than on my Giordana Tenax. They also look quite plain compared to other manufacturers offerings, but personally I like the understated look.

Far more comfy than any other short I've used. My Tenaxs, which previously I'd bang on about how brilliant they were, now feel cheap in comparison. The padding is thinner (and the stitching around it came loose after a couple of months which possibly contibuted to nasty chafing on my erm, old chap, but I kept quiet about that), and the fabric degraded quite quickly. and I thought spending £60 on a pair of shorts should get me something amazing. How people buy £40 budget shorts and convince themselves they're comfortable is beyond me.

Once the sponsors are off their backs, Assos seem to be the choice of the pros too. Personally, I don't think I'd buy anything else now, though perhaps the top of the range Castellis and Santinis are worth a look.

Tynan

Veteran
got a pair and they're certainly higher quality than anything else I've owned, the pad on all other shorts I've seen seems daringly slim in comparions

people do rate the VR Shutt Pro shorts btw and they're 'only' £80 I think

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Are Assos worth the money?

My F1 Mille are the most expensive item of clothing I own, apart from one suit.

This is my second pair, the first ones lasted 6 years. Comfort, fit and wear are superb. I found it very difficult to spend £90 on the first pair but didn't hesitate to spend the £140 or so the next pair cost. It works out at around £25 pa, great value.

Fit is difficult to assess and if you can find a local shop that stocks Assos it's worth the effort to try some on. First time I ended up with a size to large which I had to sell on ebay before buying the next size down. For me if the sizing is wrong I get a lot of material bunching up in the groin area which is uncomfortable and leads to a lot of chaffing.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Thinking about buying a pair. I've have a pair of dhb's at the moment, they are ok up to 60 miles or so but then I ineveitably get pain in sit bones. Are Assos worth the money

PS I've tried usual fixes seat height, seat position and confess trying another saddle

have you tried no shorts or padding? i used to have problems above 50 miles or so (tho megga cheap shorts in comparison), then i tried going without and to my surprise it worked out better for me. although, i don't race anywhere and i use a leather saddle.

e-rider

crappy member
I'd like to try Assos shorts but they are WWWAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too expensive. I've also heard that they don't last very long which I guess you would expect from high performance kit.

One day.....

I did recently buy some fairly expensive santini shorts and after trying them on I sent them back - well overpriced and no better than Altura really!!!

How do online shops like Wiggle stand on returning lycra shorts - I could be tempted to order some Assos just to try them on and see what the fuss is all about! Although they might be so nice that I'm tempted to keep them and not pay the rent that month!

OP
OP
F

fudgedog

Got the F1 Unos, haven't tried them yet. Bike in for a repair yesterday and it's pissing down today so it'll have to be this weekend

yello

Like others, I rate the product but don't like the price. Whether they are worth that price is obviously a value call. I have a pair of F1 milles and they are easily the best bibs I own (and my others are in the £80 range). The key to their comfort is, imho, the pad which I believe is made for Assos and not supplied to any other manufacturer.

That said, I've found that the pad can catch on the cut-away section of my Brooks saddle. This seems also somehow to pinch my skin and cause a swelling like a sit bone bursitis (which is what I thought it was at first!). I don't feel any discomfort but it's a bit alarming to see! This only happens on longer rides (200km+) and doesn't happen with other bibs, nor on my other saddles for that matter. Consequently, I don't wear the Milles for such rides.

I don't think Assos bibs would resolve sit bone pain though but may perhaps delay the onset. How'd you get on with them fd?

Top Bottom