Asymmetric tyre wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephen C

Über Member
I was checking my rear tyre this morning and I noticed that the wear was shifted slightly to the the right of the tyre, suggesting that I lean to the right while cycling.

While riding to work, I was noticed that (as far as I could see) that I wasn't leaning, but it did occur to me that the camber of the road, especially at towards the edge of the road, and this could be the cause of the off centre nature of the wear.

Has anybody else noticed this? Are there any other possible causes? If I am right about the road camber, has anyone who cycles on the wrong right side of the road noticed the opposite side wearing?

S

Biker Joe

Über Member
I don't ride on the right side of the road as I find it confuses oncoming traffic and might be dangerous.^_^

OP
OP
Stephen C

Stephen C

Über Member
Not rubbing on anything, the front tyre doesn't seem to be showing any wear, but I will look more closely to see if there is anything there. To be honest, it was a fairly cheap wheel, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was slightly out.

snailracer

Über Member
You could try refitting the tyre the other way round, to see if the other side wears out? If the same part of the tyre is still wearing out, then the tyre probably has a manufacturing fault.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
To balance the bike to put load on the right of the tyre then your body must be leaning to the left so that the bike is not vertical but as you say, it could be simply down to a steeper camber on the road.

paul04

Über Member
Easy fix, just turn the tyre around, and after a few 100 miles the wear will be even ;)

This was my old MTB rear tyre, as you can see the centre is worn out, but equal wear on both sides
tyre1.jpg

OP
OP
Stephen C

Stephen C

Über Member
To balance the bike to put load on the right of the tyre then your body must be leaning to the left so that the bike is not vertical but as you say, it could be simply down to a steeper camber on the road.

Yup, that's what I meant, the bike is leaning to the right, so I must be on the left!

I will check my body positioning again on the way home, I suppose it could be due to me favouring my right leg more than my left?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have noticed this on my commuter. I attributed it to either camber or often having a pannier on just one side. Either way it's no big deal and I don't try to correct it.

As has been pointed out, the wear is either due to UK camber or you have more weight/lean to the left.

Top Bottom