Atrial fibrillation and cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've had the occasional flutter over the last twenty years; maybe ten times per year. Cutting out coffee and alcohol helped and reducing my salt intake has made a big difference and now I can go months with no symptoms.
I had forgotten that alcohol used to sometimes give me the flutters. I haven't drunk any for 10 years so that has helped.

I drink 2 mugs of coffee most afternoons. I don't know if giving those up would help with the occasional flutters that I still get. I don't get enough flutters to be able to notice a reduction immediately so I would have to have a couple of flutter-free months before I was sure. Maybe I will try. The thing is... I like drinking the coffee! :whistle:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had forgotten that alcohol used to sometimes give me the flutters. I haven't drunk any for 10 years so that has helped.

I drink 2 mugs of coffee most afternoons. I don't know if giving those up would help with the occasional flutters that I still get. I don't get enough flutters to be able to notice a reduction immediately so I would have to have a couple of flutter-free months before I was sure. Maybe I will try. The thing is... I like drinking the coffee! :whistle:

Me too! I miss the coffee; dark chocolate and cocoa are my replacement addictions^_^

presta

Guru
I take a 350 mg aspirin daily.
My GP put me on aspirin when I was diagnosed, and cardiology quickly took me off it again.
A read of the European Society of Cardiology Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation will show you why:

"Aspirin monotherapy was ineffective for stroke prevention compared with no antithrombotic treatment and was associated with a higher risk of ischaemic stroke in elderly patients. Overall, antiplatelet monotherapy is ineffective for stroke prevention and is potentially harmful, (especially amongst elderly AF patients), whereas DAPT is associated with a bleeding risk similar to OAC therapy. Hence, antiplatelet therapy should not be used for stroke prevention in AF patients."

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran

Last week I had no coffee for a day due to deli belly, I was goosed by 9.30pm!!

12boy

Guru
I saw this thread pop up and had some new info ....in March I had a "Watchman" procedure. Apparently on the upper left chamber of the heart there is a little structure that fills with blood but due to the AFIB doesn't empty properly and is the source of virtually stroke causing clots. The Watchman inserts a tiny umbrella like device into the structure, preventing blood from entering it. After 3-4 months the heart muscle grows over it. After a successful procedure the likelyhood of a stroke is about the same as when taking Xarelto or Plavix which are a couple of warfarin alternatives, which I was taking after age 72. I now only take one 81 mg aspirin daily and don't have to worry about bruising, bleeding from injuries, and brain bleeds anymore. I really did not like being on blood thinners and am glad I don't have to anymore.

Top Bottom