Attack of the Pheasants, Peasants, Wild Non-Pedaling Things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Damage to a cyclists mental state?
My wildlife pal was responsible for dealing with damaged deer.
Library van reported that they had hit a deer which ran off up a slope but after being hit by umpteen tons of van and books must be damaged.
Got his dog and gun and set off to check. Dog indicated it had run up a steep wet bank about 15 yards long. At the top trying to get past a large bush his foot slipped and he careered back down the bank on his back swearing mightily and holding his rifle up to protect it from damage.
Half way down he noticed a touring cyclist passing who suddenly put on an incredible burst of speed.
The feet were a blur he said. May have stopped shaking by now.:ohmy:

The deer was dead when he found it but most of it was still edible. Very good it was too.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I got very close to a Sparrow hawk that was chasing a thrush. The thrush dodged to the back of my head, the Hawk went past my nose by about an inch in complete silence.

bagpuss

Guru
Happy Feet !
1647470198146.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'll dredge up a couple of quotes from old posts...

Deer attack!
There are some deer in this area but they are so shy that I have only seen them 4 or 5 times in the 30 years that I have lived here. One of those occasions was when I was doing a fast descent on a narrow lane with dry stone walls either side. Suddenly a deer jumped over the wall on my nearside and cleared my head by a couple of inches! :eek:

(The hillside sloped steeply up to my left so the deer only had to jump a foot or so to clear the wall and the road was 4 or 5 feet lower.)

The Hound of the Baskervilles attacks!
I was toiling up a steep local hill on my bike when I heard a blood-curdling baying growl. I looked up ahead to my left and saw a huge Doberman racing across a field. I thought I was safe because there was a dry stone wall round the field, but no - the dog leapt over the wall and landed in the road ahead of me.

The dog was so desperate to get at me that its paws were slipping on the road cartoon-style as it tried to accelerate down the hill towards me!

I did a massive back-wheel slide through 180° and sprinted back down the hill with the Hound of the Baskervilles in hot pursuit. It got within about 10 ft of me but I had become a sprinting superstar and powered away from it.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm pretty sure someone on here once posted something along the lines of "I punched a pheasant" (accidentally obvs, when it flew near his head while he was cycling).
It made me laugh at the time, and I've always remembered it. Can't find it on a site search though 🤔🙂

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm pretty sure someone on here once posted something along the lines of "I punched a pheasant" (accidentally obvs, when it flew near his head while he was cycling).
It made me laugh at the time, and I've always remembered it. Can't find it on a site search though 🤔🙂
I’ve had the usual close calls with most indigenous wildlife with a few scary moments with deer in particular, but yesterday a pheasant flew into my head. Luckily I‘d seen the glint of stupidity in her eyes so managed to duck a bit and brace, so the collision wasn’t enough to knock me off. The side of my jacket was (possibly literally) covered in crap though. I was shifting a bit so no punches were thrown.

Julia9054

Guru
Think I’ve told this story on here before but I once got hit by a dead pigeon dropping out of the sky!
No idea what killed it but it definitely hit me rather than me hitting it!
Bloke on a motorcycle was going the other way and stopped. We both stared at the poor thing lying on the road with a very obviously broken neck and then I nominated him to move it to the verge on account of the fact that his gloves were thicker than mine.

Top Bottom