Australia, now Austria

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Nope. In Afghanistan its when you are NOT riding a bike:

afghan_man_riding_a_bike.jpg

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The wear of a helmet is even obliged when the child is in a bicycle trailer or in a kids seat on a bicycle. The passing of this bill caused lots of debate in the Austrian Parliament where the Greens were in favour of voluntary measures.

I saw a little toddler in a bicycle trailer wearing a helmet last week. I thought what is the point of that? The child's mother is cycling too slowly to cause much head injury by speed, and the child is too low down to cause injury by falling. However, the helmet won't do much good if a car ploughs into the back of them.

The liberals wanted an obligation for everyone. The compromise: a legal obligation with no sanctions attached. Austrian authorities want to find out first of all what an awareness campaign will lead to.

A legal obligation but with no sanctions attached :huh:

Shaun

Founder
I'm sure I saw a thread earlier in the year regarding an Aussie lady who refused to wear a helmet when the new laws were brought in. She was fighting it in the courts and continuing to refuse to wear a helmet. Has that rules been reversed in Oz now?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm sure I saw a thread earlier in the year regarding an Aussie lady who refused to wear a helmet when the new laws were brought in. She was fighting it in the courts and continuing to refuse to wear a helmet. Has that rules been reversed in Oz now?

I think she won her case.
Will have to try dig it out from the net somewhere.

snorri

Legendary Member
Of all motorists and cyclists surveyed, 96% were in favour of an obligation to wear a helmet until

Why were motorists selected for inclusion in the survey? Very odd.

GTTTM

and the child is too low down to cause injury by falling.

well - I would disagree - my children would all have been capable of doing themselves some serious damage had they climbed out while I was moving.............the distance from the ground is irrelevant when it comes to children and their heads <<<<<<<voiced as a mother of 3 boys, and the younger sister of a brother who once split his head open falling 5cm off some branches of a fallen tree>>>>>>>> (however when falling downstairs - full flight - no carpet- the worst injury sustained as been a fat lip!) (go figure)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The wear of a helmet is even obliged when the child is in a bicycle trailer or in a kids seat on a bicycle. The passing of this bill caused lots of debate in the Austrian Parliament where the Greens were in favour of voluntary measures.

I saw a little toddler in a bicycle trailer wearing a helmet last week. I thought what is the point of that? The child's mother is cycling too slowly to cause much head injury by speed, and the child is too low down to cause injury by falling. However, the helmet won't do much good if a car ploughs into the back of them.

The liberals wanted an obligation for everyone. The compromise: a legal obligation with no sanctions attached. Austrian authorities want to find out first of all what an awareness campaign will lead to.

A legal obligation but with no sanctions attached :huh:

There is no point. The kid is strapped in with a harness.
If a kid falls out of a trailer, then the harness has not been done up tightly or properly enough.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1569276 said:
The other day I saw two children being taken out of a car and put into a bike trailer at which point helmets were deployed. I was going to ask why these were not considered necessary in the car but I wanted my breakfast.

Silly isn't it?
The other things about kiddies being forced to wear plastic helmets in trailers is that the helmet forces the kiddies neck forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom