Autumn / Winter clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leaner learner

Hi

What does everyone think about buying kit off ebay?

I'm looking at my first winter of cycling this year so I need some gear. I know what I like and the prices are, whilst neccessary I guess, a bit steep. I have been on ebay and just like with everything else in the world these days, there are cheap Chinese/HK copies available.

Would you pay just 25%-30% of the best price available here and take the chance on that gear? Has anyone here done it? Or would you prefer to stump up and get the real stuff?

Been sickly poor and missed riding this weekend :sad: ....

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
There's no harm I think in buying from Ebay IMO....it'll give you good options for what you're looking for. Then if feel that you are able to spend some extra cash you can then look around for what you really want.

Hope you're feeling better soon

Also look out for the Lidl and Aldi cycling specials they have some reasonable kit for very few pennys .. some of the non branded stuff is just as good as the big name stuff

Simon

Peter10

I try my stuff on in cycle shops then buy it on eBay or from online shops. I do try to support local businesses, but I'm sorry, getting it for up to 50% or more less on eBay (brand new) is too much of a saving for me. I got a Madison Stellar jacket from a seller on eBay for £26 new. Cheapest I found to that in a shop was £51.

I've found some great gear online which I probably wouldn't have given the light of day in a shop.

OP
OP
L

leaner learner

I tend to agree Peter/Adele. I think I'll get a couple of things off ebay. But then if I feel the quality is poor, I can always get the real mccoy later.

Adele - that flag will only be flying high if Bluebirds are carrying it :tongue: .

Peter10

Don't forget, a lot of people make their living from eBay now. They sell proper stuff and can afford to sell it low as they have no overheads.

Alan Whicker

If you're after the basics, Mountain Warehouse are a good source of cheapo base/wicking layers and decent fleeces. None of their stuff has bike-specific features but it's all reasonable quality. Decathlon are also doing mail order now, though their sizing can be a bit ... odd.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Also look out for the Lidl and Aldi cycling specials they have some reasonable kit for very few pennys .. some of the non branded stuff is just as good as the big name stuff

Simon

+1 i source most of my stuff from there.Sign up for their email letters for the special offers to let you know when they are in as they tend to go fast.

Aldi had some compression underwear tops in that make great a base layer, worth having a look to see if they still have any(I always go for the biggest size even though they say it is supposed to be worn tight i find them a bit too tight )

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Don't forget, a lot of people make their living from eBay now. They sell proper stuff and can afford to sell it low as they have no overheads.

That too, i have picke dup a few things from ebay that are great too, and some folk sell stuff they no longer need like shoes and pedals that are fine for beginners, my spd shoes and pedals are second hand but they do me fine.I would not buy clothing second hand though (used sweaty lycra errrgh )

edit of course the new cheap clothes can be good as well

amaferanga

Veteran
If you're talking about the team kits available on ebay - I've bought bib shorts, short sleeve top and long sleeve winter top. The quality is well below the real thing, but you get what you pay for and it's better than the Lidl/Aldi stuff. My winter jersey is actually pretty good and a nice fit. The bib shorts and short sleeve don't fit at all well though.

kewb

Simon
lidl has some gear now ,

long sleeve tops , longs and compression underwear as well pumps lights etc .

Top Bottom