Avid BB7 Road Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul99

Über Member
I've currently got a Focus Mares cyclocross bike for my commuting duties and it has got Tektro Lyra disc brakes.

To be honest i'm a bit underwhelmed with the stopping power, and am thinking of upgrading to Avid BB7's as the reviews all seem to be pretty positive.

Can anybody tell me what I need to buy besides the caliper and rotors? Do I need new cabling? Are my Tiagra levers compatible?

And do I need a degree in engineering to do the swap?:wacko:

Cheers in advance for your help.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So long as you get BB7 road version calipers, grey NOT black, they will work fine with your Tiagra levers (I run mine with Sora).

I think they work better with good quality outers run full length.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Many thanks GC. I'll keep an eye on the sales then. :biggrin:
I was able to get both Avid full metal jackets and flak jackets in a sale when I put road BB7's on my tourer to replace BB5's. I also have goodridge cable on another BB7 setup.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Avid recommend using non compressable outer cables (similar in construction to gear cable outers) instead of standard outers. As Greg said, full metal or flak jacket outers. I got flak jacket outers for my BB7s, and once they've bedded in, they're really good brakes.

potsy

Rambler
Been looking at upgrading my BB5' for to these too, am sure the prices have gone up since I last looked, any bargains about?
Noticed CRC doing them without a rotor for £60+ surely there has to be better out there? :ohmy:

I'll probably just upgrade the front for now as I tend to use that almost exclusively on the CX.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Cheers for the links Jamie, might just get one from there now :thumbsup:
Daft question but are they front and rear specific?
nope. iirc.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Cheers for the links Jamie, might just get one from there now :thumbsup:
Daft question but are they front and rear specific?
The calipers and rotors are identical, but (on the MTB version at least) the mounting post thingys are different sizes depending on front/rear and of course the size of the rotor. My "front 180" needed a 40mm and shipped with a 20mm, so i had to order the correct mount from CRC for a fiver http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=75477 The "front 200" i ordered previously came with a selection of mounts, im not sure which is normal or if it was my bike that was abnormal :smile:

Since were sharing useful links... I followed a few guides for setup, but this one was by far the best:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasGJFtgq0A

:santa:

Top Bottom