Avid Juicy 4 brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debian

I have these on my Specialized FSR XC.

I can't find specific parts listed for them on CRC, etc, they appear to be something speicifically worked up for Specialized.

Does anyone know if they're the same as Juicy 3 or 5?

Do they take normal Avid pads?

Any other tips or info about them?

Same pads as 3 & 5's.
Avid Juicy 4 RSL were apparently only made for Specialized, but are essentially the same as Juicy 3's so the pads will be the same.
Chainreactioncycles do Clark replacement pads for about a six quid a pair which work well.

Tips: The only thing that has caught me out with my Juicy 3's is the need for a specific bleed kit which is over 30quid - so don't lose any brake fluid or it will cost!

OP
OP
Debian

Debian

Thanks for that reply.

I noticed the bleed kit - £30 for 2 syringes and a couple of plastic clips!

I asked LBS about them doing a pad change and bleed all together - £35 a wheel + £25 a wheel for OEM pads. Having a larf or what!!!! LBS' are not always my favourite people ;)

The kit has far more than 2 syringes and 2 plastic clips tbh.

It also has fluid to do two complete bleeds, as well as some spacers which you can use in lieu of pads and disk to ensure that the brakes have the correct amount of fluid. If you bleed your brakes without the spacer then the pads may not have enough space to fit on the disk... It also has some new threaded bushes for the tubes if you need to cut them and refit them. Fairly comprehensive kit tbh. So not as bad as it seems as first glance.

A 'friend' loosened my rear banjo bolt and pumped my brake so there was hardly any fluid in the rear brake, ergo me buying the kit, but after refilling my rear brake the kit looks like it will do another 3-4 bleeds or 2 complete fills from empty. Any more than that in the next three years and I would be surprised...anyway, dot 5 is cheap when you buy it for a car - it is the extra gubbins that will cost far more - as you have found.

Top Bottom