Avid Juicy Three Hydraulic Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are these actually any good? I mean, when you have a few miles down?

Should I fix mine up or should I go for a mechanical disc brake setup instead?
On my MTB, both the front and rear appear to be leaking from the reservoir caps. And I think I know why. I took the bike out of the shed in temperatures well below 0 and then proceeded to ride down *evil* hill. It's half a mile of down (14%) with a stop sign at the bottom - at which you have to stop.

I think I warmed the brake fluid up quite sharpish on the descent and the sharp change in temperature compromised both the bladders - brake fluid seems to have corroded the paint/anodising around the ports on the reservoir caps.

The bike has probably done, in the region of 600-800 miles. Mainly on the road. Mainly flat. Just lately it has been comissioned as my snow bike. I'm now looking at over £50 to fix these brakes up.

Anyone used these brakes extensively? What experience have you had?

I have some Juicy 3's and use a similiar size hill daily (35-40mph with lights at the bottom!) without complaint. They are certainly better than the cable disks I had on my last bike, due mainly to far less adjustment required with hydraulics.

I have put just under 3K on mine in the last 9 months and the front pads are in need of a change, back ones got changed a fortnight ago. Bleeding them requires a special kit which isn't cheap (£35!), but does give good results if you are patient when doing the fluid, which I have only needed to do once.

Dunno what to say really, I like 'em all in all.

Quite like all the 'juicy' range, so I would fix 'em up. Have seen spare bladders for sale.

Keep an eye on Ebay for spares etc - did see a bleed kit going for £20 the other day; you get some brake fluid supplied - but if you use this up; just buy some DOT4 or DOT5.1 [NOT DOT5] from a motor spares shop - a lot cheaper.

The going rate for a good second hand pair of Juicy3's on Ebay is about £50 so may be worth a punt [I got some the other week for my new commuting bike].

Always wipe down with water after any DOT fluid spillage - this de-activates the fluid.

Top Bottom