Avon Cycleway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glover Fan

Hi all,

I live about 2 miles from the Avon Cycleway which is an 85 mile route around Bristol. Thought it would be a nice ride to do to take me from the metric century which I achieved a while back to just short of the Imperial century which would be amazing.

Anybody done it? I've rode most of the NW section from about Easter Compton through to Wickwar which is relatively well signposted, but is the rest of the route as well waymarked? Can't really be bothered with a map. Any decent cycle friendly cafes near the East side of Bristol enroute?

Jon.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I've ridden most of the eastern half and some of the western. No problems with navigating when I was last on on it, last year. It is a nice ride with lots of contrasts, and a resonable degree of lumpy-ness once you head inland. It seems to pass through lots of villages with names that would have been ideal for characters in Ealing comedies.

I am slightly wary of making pit stop recs. as what is a delightful place to one is a hell hole to another, but do try the café at the old disused station at Warmley if you get the chance. Proper greasy spoon in a novel location...

EDIT: Not my picture but....

Spartak