b-twin triban 3 road bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

galactico

hi all

i am looking for a new road bike and have come across the triban 3 sold at decathlon for £299. i am on a very tight budget and i am considering also the carrera tdf and virtuoso available for £269.99. the carreras get decent reviews for the price range but i cant seem to find anything about the b-twin. it looks a similar apart from the carbon forks but specs are not very detailed. can anyone compare the b-twin to the carreras or comment on the b-twin? also does anyone know if there is a difference between the carrera tdf and the tdf limited edition?
any comments appreciated.

regards

paul

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As User says the Triban are better specced bikes for the price, i have a Virtuoso and if i were going for a new bike in that price range i would goto Decathlon if i was not using C2W

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another point to consider is that the Triban has a triple chainset (50/39/30) while the Carrera has a double chainset (possibly a 50/36) which may be preferable depending on your riding style or terrain. For information the cassette is a 12-25 on the Triban.

I purchased a Triban 3 weeks ago as a cheap commuter and can highly recommend it (and Decathlon) having done 250 miles on it so far. It's comfortable, relatively fast, well put together and looks better in the red than the yellow/black of the Carrera.

The only problem I've come across is that mudguard fitment is tight at the front when using Crud Roadracers.

OP
OP
G

galactico

thanks for all the info. i went to decathlon today to have a look at the triban. it looks a lovely bike. far better in the flesh than on the website photos. i was very impressed with the build quality and the the bikes were set up perfectly. gears changed perfectly, brakes were spot on and gripped the wheel as they should. far better workmanship than the halfords guys had the carreras set up. just have to wait til payday on thursday to splash the cash. i will try and do a proper review of the bike as there seems to be nothing available on the web.

thanks

Anyone got anything bad to say about Decathlon? Anything at all?

I must say after finally getting over to the Giltbrook store to 'assist' with a mates bike purchase, I've been back several times and they are definitely my local-ish store of choice. Every section of the store seems to have Knowledgeable and helpful staff and great value own brand kit, as well as good pricing on branded stuff.

I know it has been said before, but I wonder what would have happened if Halfords had got that much attention to detail and commitment to its customers.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Yes, Decathlon are great in general but their women's cycling clothes can be a bit crap sometimes in their padding etc - there are some items that are fantastic but some are really dire and poorly made. I sometimes end up buying the men's jerseys etc in the smallest size as they seem to be better made.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Bought lots of clothes from them.

The Blue Line budget stuff is serviceable, but it's worth the extra money to get their 5 level stuff. I've done 90 miles in their Flat 5 shorts on a very hot day with no discomfort.

I bought an MTB from them a couple of months ago, just their budget Rockrider 5.2 2010 model on clearance.

The bike had a superb spec for £180. Altus 24 speed groupset, Suntour chainset, Eyeletted Rigida Sphinx rims, Joytech hubs, Alloy bars, Selle saddle. (Actually weighs 1.5 kg less than my Carrera Gryphon hybrid)

All set up and ready to ride in 15 mins, offered a discount on accessories too.

Bought some coat hanger type bike stands, the plastic wore through in about 1 month and scratched my frame :sad: took them back and got a no-quibble refund)

Just wished they did a drop bar touring bike.

Top Bottom