back ache - some prgress...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
Tried someting a bit different on Sunday.

on my other road bike, raised the bars by about 20 mm, adjused the saddle height and distance, all of which IMO is irrelevant and put on my weight training belt - chunky thick leather job and did not get the agonising back ache that would normally occur after about 15 mins.:biggrin:

so my theory goes like this. something is f***ed up in my spine and when cycling, the muscles either side are working overtime to correct hence the pain.

putting on the belt keeps spine in posiiton and the muscles can relax.

sound about right?

next step or 2 would be to drop the bars and then ride on no.1 bike, all whilst wearing belt.

situation is not ideal as the belt is a bit unconfortable, rubbing on hips but at least I can get in much longer rides.:biggrin::biggrin:

and what would be next step after that in order to get spine fixed up? doctor? chiro? other?

ASC1951

Guru
02GF74 said:
on my other road bike, raised the bars by about 20 mm, adjused the saddle height and distance, all of which IMO is irrelevant and put on my weight training belt - chunky thick leather job and did not get the agonising back ache that would normally occur after about 15 mins.:angry:
Hmm. Rule 1 of adjustment - one thing at a time. Now you have no idea whether it was the bars, the saddle or the belt.

Adjusting saddle height and distance is relevant. Even changes as small as 1/4" on saddle height matter, less so for other elements.

I would be very reluctant to assume it's a spinal problem unless you have done something off the bike to damage it. The spine is a tough beast and takes serious impact or prolonged misuse to damage. For something like this I would consult a physio before a chiropractor or GP, but only after I had had my bike set up by someone who knows what they are doing.

Top Bottom