Back Hurting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skinnydog1973

Well today i went out for only my 3rd ride on the road and managed 16 miles i really enjoyed it but had 2 problems,i will have to look at my gears because i tried a monster hill( well it felt like it to me ,it was a mile long) but when i was in the lowest top 2 gears it was slipping so i had to drop it into 3 which made the climb harder but i was so pleased i didnt have to get off on any hills,the other thing was i finished the ride up another hill but the bottom of my back was killing me,not sure if this is just beginners unfit mode lol, could this be how i am sitting on my bike or just because i am new to riding a bike

Andrew 14

Could be you are getting used to the new position my shoulders and neck used to ache and still do on a long ride

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I reckon 16 miles on your third ride is a bit of a workout for you! Try keeping to that distance, or a bit less for a few rides yet and see if the discomfort eases as your body gets used to the trials.

What was slipping in the lowest two ratios? I ride a compact with 9 on the cassette, and have occasionally had to use the lowest cogs, with no trouble other than giving myself a stiff talking to get up the hill.

brucers

Guru
I would be careful of the back issue, you don't want to go getting a bad back by pushing things to had (even more so if you;ve had problems in the past). I have always had slight twinges to my back so I stick to bike that give me a fairly upright riding position as opposed to the racer style bikes which tend to but more pressure on the spine.

OP
OP
skinnydog1973

skinnydog1973

when i was going up a big hill i dropped it down to the 2 lowest gears but it kept slipping between the two so i had to knock it to 3 then it was ok but it was a bit too much for the hill

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I have a slightly dodgy back at the best of times. Been on a hybrid most of the winter and just started back on a new Forme Longcliffe road bike and just feeling a wee bit too stretched and lower back has been niggling. Have ordered a riser stem that is also slightly shorter hoping that bringing the bars that bit higher and closer will ease it, plus more time in the saddle of course :smile:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well today i went out for only my 3rd ride on the road and managed 16 miles i really enjoyed it but had 2 problems,i will have to look at my gears because i tried a monster hill( well it felt like it to me ,it was a mile long) but when i was in the lowest top 2 gears it was slipping so i had to drop it into 3 which made the climb harder but i was so pleased i didnt have to get off on any hills,the other thing was i finished the ride up another hill but the bottom of my back was killing me,not sure if this is just beginners unfit mode lol, could this be how i am sitting on my bike or just because i am new to riding a bike
Well done!
With the gears were you on the small ring at the front or the big ring?
You'll adjust to using some new muscles in a strange position. Take a check of your set-up here:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm

Keep it up, with tweaking and practice it all gets easier!

Lee_M

Guru
ive had a bike fitting and still get a bad back ( though I did have a triple slipped disc 2 years ago) so in some cases you have to live with it

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
As others have said look at your basic bike fit ..
http://www.caree.org/bike101bikefit.htm
get time on the bike to get used to the position, over the first year or so it will be a constant adaption as your body will get used to it , my handlebar is a good 5-6 cm lower than it was 3 years ago.

How is your "core " strength ? not just stomach but back etc , there are plenty of examples on google.

Finally i get back ache if i have been hammering a lot of hills hard , do you always try to stand and grind every hill or spin away ?

when i was going up a big hill i dropped it down to the 2 lowest gears but it kept slipping between the two so i had to knock it to 3 then it was ok but it was a bit too much for the hill
Sounds like you need to adjust the trim on the dérailleur. I had a bad back about Nov but I was better on the bike then off it, and had been mentioned it is a matter of getting used to the riding position, it helps if you can adjust your postion during the ride.

Top Bottom