Back in the game

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Hi all,

About two years ago I posted (well, lurked) regularly on here and was going to join a couple of FNRttCs until my Boardman CX Comp was nicked. The time has come for me to get another proper bike (as opposed to the old single-gear backpedal-brake thing I had for a while after the Boardman) and I'm thinking about getting my first full road bike. It'd be used for commuting - a five mile round trip - as well as longer rides at the weekend, potentially including sportives and the RideLondon if I somehow get in this year. It'll need to be available in something big since I'm 6'3 and a more relaxed geometry.

I'm looking to spend about £600-800. Is it worth me looking for something with discs in this price range? I really liked the stopping power I had on the Boardman. I'm wary of another Boardman - mine had a few issues caused by Halfords setting it up - and I'd like Tiagra if possible but realise that Sora is much more realistic. Probably need something with hill-friendly gearing since I'm not particularly fit. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, hope to come on a ride with some of you soon :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-alloy-tiagra-6-disc-2016-road-bike-ec120350

Something like this?

Evans will get you bikes in to test ride for a refundable deposit, just need photo ID and a bank card

Or a Defy disc, I think pedalon are down your way and also have cannondale and trek bikes to compare

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-defy-2-disc.html

I realise both a little over budget but tick your boxes

OP
OP
Ollie W

Ollie W

Cycling pls
Thanks all! Went for something in the middle in the end - a Cannondale Synapse Sora. No discs and no Tiagra but really it's all I need and I don't think I'll miss the discs too much. Went to Hargroves in Totton for it. I pick it up tomorrow and I can't wait to rejoin the cyclist army! Hope to join you all on a long ride soon.

Now for lights and bits - I think I've got a couple of locks and my helmet so I just need lights and maybe a saddle bag. Hopefully my clothes still fit...

Top Bottom