"Back off" sign - counter productive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
BigSid said:
I've always thought "Baby on Board" signs should be on the dashboard. :wacko:

I used to think that sort of thing too, but I realise it's not so clear cut now. You see radical changes in driver behaviour when towing a child trailer on a bike, and I'm fairly sure there's some effect with the baby on board sign in a car. Much less though.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
XmisterIS said:
This thread reminds me of a talking-car-alarm craze that started (and quickly stopped) in the mid-1990's.

You could get a proximity-alarm fitted which would instruct close-passing pedestrians, in a loud American voice, to "STEP AWAY FROM THE VE-HICLE" (you know how Americans pronounce the "H" in "vehicle").

Apparently people stopped buying them because the owners found that their cars were being vandalised. Funny thing that!

LOL, I rember that! a bloke in my road had one on his Rover when I was a kid, we used to flatten his battery by deliberatley taking turns to stand next to it..

'appy day's

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
jonny jeez said:
LOL, I rember that! a bloke in my road had one on his Rover when I was a kid, we used to flatten his battery by deliberatley taking turns to stand next to it..

'appy day's

It wasn't a Rover 75, was it? If ever there was a car that epitomised the phrase, "all show and no substance", it was the Rover 75 ...

J4CKO

XmisterIS said:
It wasn't a Rover 75, was it? If ever there was a car that epitomised the phrase, "all show and no substance", it was the Rover 75 ...

? I dont own one but they are actually a pretty good car, wouldnt say there was much show and no less substance than any other car of that ilk.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
J4CKO said:
? I dont own one but they are actually a pretty good car, wouldnt say there was much show and no less substance than any other car of that ilk.

Perhaps I have been put off by the one we had as a pool car where I used to work - it looked the business, but by God it was crap! The suspension was sprung like an old bed and it did 0-60 in a week, if you were going downhill with a tailwind!

OP
OP
domd1979

domd1979

Veteran
jonny jeez said:
Strikes me that you would probably have to get CLOSER, just to read the sign...clever

They were fairly big letters and my eyesight is good, so I didn't need to get close to read it thank you...

twowheelsgood

It's like those "Baby on board" signs. I love cute babies so I drive up REAL close to have a look!!!!

Worse still I've seen "show dogs in transit". Almost as if other cars didn't have human beings in transit as good enough reason to exercise some care.

Jonathan M

Baby on Board signs (usually in a Beemer or Audi) often indicates an ineffective parent whose child is unrestrained in the vehicle "Oh, I can't get them in a car seat......". Parent usually doesn't wear their seat belt either "it creases the Armani (knock off) you know".

Back to OP, I agree that sign wouldn't come across as polite, and I wouldn't be surprised if that guy has had a few close encounters, and probably scratches his head and wonders why!

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
hackbike 666 said:
I wouldn't mind so much about the baby on board signs if they didn't drive like pricks.

Yes, a massive urban 4x4 with one of these signs in the rear window is, imho, one of the most dangerous vehicles on the road!

Top Bottom