Back problem and brand new bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The saddle looks low to me for a bike of that size. If so, that would make pedalling inefficient and strain the body much more than necessary. You could soon sort that out and it might help. Take a look at this video...

How can you tell without him sitting on it? He might be rather short legged!

vickster

Legendary Member
Stretches before, during and after the 45 hours that you spend at a desk every week could be more beneficial....
Indeed. All that sitting is much more likely the culprit for back pain than a couple of hours of cycling

Kajjal

Guru
In my experience back discomfort from cycling comes from the general tension of having the saddle too high or a saddle sloping towards the rear of the bike putting pressure on the lower back. Granted I don’t have any back issues. Another possible cause is over stretching to reach the bars.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yep if it’s the right size and adjusted for you. See a physio and/or find some beginners pilates or yoga on YouTube :okay:

OP
OP
Slane13

Slane13

I am afraid that this bicycle does not have front suspension and therefore every problem or hit of the ground goes to my back and that causes the problem.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am afraid that this bicycle does not have front suspension and therefore every problem or hit of the ground goes to my back and that causes the problem.
That's another reason for NOT going for a very upright position! It tends to be rear wheel hits that jar the spine and if you are sitting too upright then there is less 'give'.

You can get suspension seat posts to reduce the impact of the problem... (forgive the pun!)

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you riding it off road?
if rough roads, get used to standing up over the rough bits and let your legs take the strain

Top Bottom