Back to cycling - budget c. 1K hybrid or gravel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srd1

Used to cycle a lot until around 6 years ago (had a basic giant hybrid which is very old)

Serious about getting back into it and the old bike just won't cut it. Looking to get something I can use on/off road – but I won’t be mountain biking (it’s Hampshire!) : Mix is more roads, some occasional tough hills with a light/medium track sometimes. Probably a 70:30 mix of road to non-road.

Looking to spend max 1K. If something magic happens just over I’d consider that too.

So …

Wondering whether hybrid or gravel?

Key thinks I should look for / avoid?

Brands to look for / avoid?

any pointers really appreciated.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

I should go for a gravel bike, but I'm not you. Do you prefer flat or drop bars? Both types should suit your type of usage. Hybrids can be found with tyres as chunky as a gravel bike but don't buy with suspension.
Your best and only pointer after that is What can I find that's in stock? ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you want flatbars or drops?
Issue currently is stock levels and high prices (no discounts)

Why won't your old hybrid cut it ?
Stock of bikes is going to be a problem. Is your budget definite ?

Reactions: C R
Drop bar Genesis, under £1k, great bike, but may not be available, like many currently it seems?
8F035441-BA8E-4FBD-85A7-BB927CB98987.jpeg

All uphill

Still rolling along
Not what you want to hear, maybe.

Give your Giant a really good service, new tyres and get out and enjoy your cycling. Spend the £1k on coffee and cakes.

As you will know this is a difficult time to buy a bike, so if your giant fits, use it!

Good call on the Genesis.
Thanks, its a lovely bike, CDA30 with GRX giving low 1st gear and acceptable top gear for me. Promax disc brakes are one for me, I have commuted in traffic and descended at 30+ mph (once) without any worries. They may squeal a little, but they’re not bad.
I have found it comfortable for up to 40 miles, and would buy another.
C2W purchase at £899 in September last year, as soon as these were released.
My LBS (Hargroves) had 25 in stock on the Monday, all but one (in small) sold by Saturday!
I added the rack, mudguards and Wahoo mount to achieve the £1k C2W value.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Now a grand at Hargroves but they do appear to have some stock
https://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/b...enesis-cda-30-grx-gravel-bike-in-grey__40151?

@srd1 they have shops in Hants (this bike in Winchester)

Last edited:
Top Bottom