Back Tyre is Stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The way these brakes work is by squeezing the brake pads against the brake disc. The friction between the pads and discs slows the disc down and since the disc is attached to the wheel, it slows the wheel and therefore the bike down.

Oil is designed to reduce friction. If you put oil on the brake disc or pads you will significantly reduce the friction between the pads and disc and therefore seriously reduce the effectiveness of the brakes. In short, you won't slow down very much.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm going to put it down to youthful inexperience. I recall a classmate at school oiled the rims of his bike because someone told him that was how to stop the brakes squealing. View attachment 512950
I have a motorcycle handbook from the 20's, and it suggests a dollop of grease in each drum will eliminate any squealing...although doubtless the riders squeals as they plunge to their death will negate that.

As for the OP, some bicycle disc brake systems are prone to locking on in the warm weather - the old giant MPH brakes were terrible for it. Lubricating them is not the way to resolve the situation if you want to live to an old age.

figbat

Slippery scientist
As for the OP, some bicycle disc brake systems are prone to locking on in the warm weather - the old giant MPH brakes were terrible for it. Lubricating them is not the way to resolve the situation if you want to live to an old age.
It has only happened to me once, on some old Hayes HFX 9 brakes. I cracked open the bleed nipple, let a little fluid out, resealed it and off I went.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I tried to remove the pads, but i didn't know how to
it would help if you could show me how to
If you follow the link I provided, the video headlined "Inspecting and Adjusting" shows how the pads come out. The demonstration is done with the caliper off the bike but you shouldn't need to take it off, just follow what the chap says.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
If you do manage to clean it all off,then please be very careful when you go for your first ride as it only takes a tiny drop to completely contaminate the pads, you won't be able to see it visually.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
yup...i wondered why it wasent...although the front brake does fine
what does that mean then...what do i do now?
Well, as others have suggested, the pads are ruined because the oil will have soaked into the friction material. You need to replace them with new ones of the same type.

The disc will need to be cleaned using a brake cleaner or similar solvent. This isn't nice stuff so make sure you read the instructions before use.

The easiest and safest thing really would be to get it to a bike shop if one is open near you and get them to do it. Edit: Actually, I strongly recommend that you do this since you are clearly new to mechanical stuff and hydraulic disc brakes are probably not the best place to start your learning curve. The bike shop will also be able to advise if anything extra is needed (how worn is the disc for example).

Last edited:
Top Bottom