Backache

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Looks like a bit of experimentation could be needed then as well as giving my body time to adjust. In regards to pushing my self is it a good idea to cycle everyday or best to have rest periods inbetween rides. I have a lot of spare time at the moment (long story) and I am trying to put it to good use.
Your body needs to repair the damage done by exercise, I found if I hurt the following day rest till the aches have gone, usually 2 to three days, but it gets less as you get fitter and your body becomes accustom to the extra exercise

OP
OP
Stantheman

Stantheman

Changed the stem today to a shorter one and initially it feels more comfortable. Going to try it out tomorrow on a short ride.

OP
OP
Stantheman

Stantheman

The new stem and position made a bit of a difference, I still have an ache but it is not as bad. I have rested more the past few days so time will tell.

Soup890

Crazy
This use to happen to mean when I bought my first adult bike from a certain retailer (no not argos) but anyway the bike was too small for me I'm 6ft2" and the mtb was a £200 made in China plastic everything. My back was in pain everyday not good for a 25 year old. Ok so now I splashed the cash on a Spesh, the lbs sized me up, adjusted the seat height. Now the specialzed bike feels great. No pains what so ever.

Bellyboarder

I'm 60 and although I've commute-cycled most of my life on upright cycles, it's only been shortish distances. I bought a Trek 7.2 hybrid as I now live in a fantastic cycling area with lots of hilly bits and I want to enjoy some of it on two wheels (and get fitter). I bought the Trek as hubby has one and I liked the ride that gave, but I rode mine around for 6 weeks while I got a feel for the fit and although it was comfortable to ride I felt the saddle needed adjustment but wasn't sure if that would affect other stuff. Rather than try and mess about with it myself I booked a bike fit at the LBS in Redruth (they do them free for bikes bought from them). The guy was very thorough, raising the saddle an amazing 5" and moving it back and tweaking the handlebar and end bar angles and gear levers. There was lots of good advice about cycling technique and and plenty of time on the trainer and nothing was rushed. Sent out on a test run, immediately there was an improvement in my comfort and performance. On the way home I even overtook a bloke going up the hill out of town! (not something that happens a lot, I can assure you)

So I'd recommend a good bike fit. Well worth it.

Top Bottom