Backpack query

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flakey

Hi there. I have a commute that consists of a cycle, train journey then a run. As such I need to carry a backpack. My problem is that my back gets drenched in sweat during the cycle leg of my journey. Can anyone recommend a backpack that let's air flow between it and your back.
Sorry, but because of the run part of the journey panniers are not an option.

vickster

Legendary Member
Deuter or Osprey have an airflow solution. Look at Evans website. How big do you need?

simongt

Guru
Any backpack that has a 'standoff' frame helps, but as all of said frames have a padded rear waist support at the bottom of the frame, you will get sweaty there. can't be helped. These types are my preference to the airflow type, but as I only use them when walking and not cycling, slightly different application possibly. :smile:

Gekko21

Regular
I also have a train / cycle commute (thankfully without the run part ^_^). I was using my partner's Osprey Hikelite, which was a great lightweight bag with great mesh separation from the back but too small. I then started using my Osprey Talon 22, which is my daypack for hiking. I fully intended to replace it with a dedicated cycle pack so as not to wear out my hiking gear. However, I've found the Talon so comfortable that I haven't got round to it yet. I don't have a long cycle but I notice a big difference from when I first started cycle commuting and was using a more fashion-oriented Sandqvist rucksack. The Talon has a helmet attachment so I can keep my helmet on the outside of my bag for the train commute, leaving more space inside for my cycling bits and bobs, lunch and laptop when needed. If I was buying a dedicated cycle backpack, it would be the Osprey Synchro 20.

I hear great things about Deuters but having had solid experiences with the Ospreys have never found a reason to deviate.

mangid

Guru
Shoutout for Ortlieb, I used a Flight for years, and have now got a PackMan Pro. Totally waterproof, and even in the summer after a 2 hour+ for mile commute no issues with a sweaty back.

Top Bottom