Bag which wont cause back sweating for under £40

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seigi

So, I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a bag, which is capable of carrying college work without destroying it, and which wont cause my back to sweat when cycling for around the £40 mark? I was looking at the Deuter Bike 1 and Deuter Race EXP Air as they both look pretty good and have a handy stowaway helmet storage, but the ~£60 region feels a bit pricey for a poor student.

So, any recommendations?

vickster

Legendary Member
Rack and panniers?

I have one of these, good bag and has waterproof cover, but still get sweaty back. Unavoidable with any rucksack unfortunately

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/3094.html

Good strong material :smile:

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I found this Vaude Trail Light 9 for £35.

However, I think it is an old model as it seems to be out of stock or discontinued everywhere, including the Vaude website; the link I've provided asks you to call, so you might get lucky...

I recently came across a Regatta X-ert backpack 35l (But they do other sizes as well). Unfortuntely I cant seem to find a pic with the back but it seemed very well made and had mesh support straps on the back to avoid contact with your back. It was only around £30.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I've considered a courier bag, but I couldn't seem to find one for a decent price with a waist strap on it to help hold in place whilst cycling.

Old schoolers just tied string to the corners of their musettes to use as a waist strap. :becool:

OP
OP
Seigi

Seigi

Found a one which I like, which is £28 (Seems quite a steal), courier bag with waist strap and room for laptop: http://www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk/depa...ppc&utm_term=51382&utm_campaign=froogle#51382

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
any bag will give you a sweaty back. i commute with a Blacks day sack with the mesh to allow airflow, but a sweaty back is inevitable.

Danny

Legendary Member
any bag will give you a sweaty back. i commute with a Blacks day sack with the mesh to allow airflow, but a sweaty back is inevitable.

Edinburgh Bike Co-op currently have there Stow Lite on sale for £40. However if you are prepared to spend another £1.24 you can get the Stow Trail which holds twice as much.

I've got a Stow Trail and would strongly recommend it. It has mesh suspension system and so far I have never had a sweaty back.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
FWIW one recommendation I had was to get two bits of foam pipe insulation and stitch them down the sides of the bag. It keeps it just off your back to avoid a sweaty sack.
I've not tried myself but keep meaning too.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I use an old Berghaus day sack. (Mine's a Dart 25 - don't know if they're still made.) It gets a bit sweaty but as long as you're wearing a wickable shirt it dries out in minutes, if you're wearing cotton it would stay wet for ages though.

Tescos do them disposable ones that you can hang from the handlebars :biggrin:

Depends how much you carry, I like the Topeak beam rack system that clamps on the seatpost with a matching clip-in trunk bag

If you add the side supports to the rack, the bag side pockets roll down into small panniers - but the whole thing, rack and all, is easily removed in seconds with a Q/R clamp

Perfect instant- rack for a bike that you don't want to fully fit out with a rack

Top Bottom