Ball bearings in a bb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
Which are best in a bb loose or caged bearings ? if loose bearings are the best how many should you use in each side ?

presta

Guru
I don't think there's any merit in cages except for them being quicker, easier and cheaper for the manufacturers to assemble. The cages in my Raleigh were plastic, and the balls used to come out, then just mangle the 'cage' between them.

With loose balls, just put as many balls in as it takes to fill the race, without jamming them in tight (which will be more than the cage contains).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A cage normally has 9 ball bearings in them.
Without a cage it would 10, possibly 11.
The size would be 1/4.

Last edited:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Cages are a little easier to fit, as you don't have to place each ball in separately, but, you still have to clean the cups, re-grease the cups, and cages do fail now and then with the resulting crunches and rough running and damage possibly to the cups.
None of my bikes now have cages, and haven't for many years.

OP
OP
Wester

Wester

Guru
I don't think there's any merit in cages except for them being quicker, easier and cheaper for the manufacturers to assemble. The cages in my Raleigh were plastic, and the balls used to come out, then just mangle the 'cage' between them.

With loose balls, just put as many balls in as it takes to fill the race, without jamming them in tight (which will be more than the cage contains).

Could i take the bearings out of the cage and use them as loose bearings ?

SuffolkBlue

Which are best in a bb loose or caged bearings ? if loose bearings are the best how many should you use in each side ?

Just done BB, headset and axle bearings on a 1950 Raleigh Sport. As Fossyant has said above, they are as cheap as chips. I got the Weldtite brand from their Amazon link. All the sizes you'll need are available, just select what you want - 1/4" for BB. I think mine took 11 each side. View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005IWY9OS?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1&psc=1

presta

Guru
Could i take the bearings out of the cage and use them as loose bearings ?

There won't be enough of them. Don't just top up the quantity, they all need to be from the same batch to ensure they're exactly the same.

Jameshow

Veteran
BB don't have bearings when installing my bb30 I didn't see any...!🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom