Ball race for a 1" steerer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Anyone know where I can get one?

TBH, it's not for a bike.

My 4 year olds got a scooter which he loves. Only thing is it was put together by a blind marmoset. I've sussed that it must be using standard bike parts - price of these things I couldn't see them using anything but 'off the shelf'
As I said, they can't put in a ball race square, so a couple of months in, the cage has fallen apart and the race is scored.
so I measured, 5/32" ball bearings (check), 1" threaded steerer (check), quick google on Sheldons site..... 1" is a standard. Phone call to local shop "We've the bearings and cages. Don't think we have any races. 1" is nearly obsolete..."

Anyone able to help?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Ebay has them. I have bought them there in the past for an older frame.

This sort of thing?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I'd refer to that as the cage?
My LBS stated that the cages are standard between the 1" and 1.1/8" steerers?
I'm meaning the 1 piece steel ring that fits directly onto the steerer, at the bottom of the assembly, with a curved surface for the bearings to run against.

tyred

Legendary Member
Obsolete, possibly but definitely not hard to find. Prices range from about £5 and upwards. Check dimensions carefully, hopefully whoever you buy it from will give full dimensions as the crown race seem to have two possible internal diameters in my experience.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A 1 inch fork crown race might be hard to find on its own, without buying a full headset.
1" threaded headsets are still quite easy, but 1" threadless are harder (threaded or not?).

There's no problem mixing the top and bottom sections between different headsets, but you should use the fork crown race, lower frame cup (bottom end of head tube) and bearings as a set.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh that reminds me. My son's micro scooter isn't steering properly - it's been down at the outlaw's caravan for a while, anyway get to fllo at it, and the lower cup turns in the frame, suggesting the lower bearings are rusted solid. Oh well, it's been well used. Must take a look tonight.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ta guys,
It's ended up a heath robinson job. End of the day, it'll do.
Dropped into an lbs on the way home last night, got some 5/32" bearings and they popped some grease into a plastic money bag. I decided to use the current crown and use more bearings rather than have them in a cage. Part of the plan being to reseat the current crown square.
Well thats not happening.
The problem with the race seating wasn't that it was put together by a blind macaque. Instead of that, it can't be seated properly, due to the quality of work at the bottom of the steerer...
So I got out a file etc and I got it 'something like'
All sorted now. Little 'uns happy, he's got his scooter back and I've had my memory refreshed on headsets. Good little exercise all round

Top Bottom