Banana skin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cavalol

Guru
After finally getting it from the back of the garage, I got my Banana 'on the road' last week. I fitted some modern guards, discovered the tyres were 28"/700C types and fitted some 700x23 Conti's I had kicking about. Then spent a day or two cleaning it all up and mucking about trying to get the brakes to actually look like they might slow me down a bit.
Happy with the progress I went on a 44 mile club run last Sunday, and aside from awful brakes and a 'lumpy' rear end (bike, not me!) it was all going well. Until I got too cocky, the bloke in front slowed to a stop and I couldn't halt in time. I clipped his rear wheel, pushed him forwards a bit, my front wheel turned and I think I went over the bars! Bent the bars round a bit, grazed my kneed and got light bruising to my ribs, but could have been worse.
Anyhow, stopping later on I noticed the lumpiness was due to me not fitting the rear tyre properly (lucky it didn't blow out) and the rear mech needs tweeking as it doesn't like the lower two gears.
Still, not bad all in really, I had considered upgrading to modern brakes and wheels but it'd lose it's originality a bit. That said, could easily reverse the mods and I'd rather have something useable and safe than nice but dangerous!

*Sorry about the modern guards, they don't suit it but do do a job!

post-3345-0-52643000-1416699364.jpg

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
That was my first road bike when I started working . I was on £29.50 a week ( carpentry apprentership ) and delivered pizza in my mini clubman during the evenings to top up my money .
I did London to Brighton with a few mates on the banana without padded shorts and stood up on the train home :laugh:

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Still really have a soft spot for these! I nearly bought one when looking for a road racer and the day I spotted my Pug PY501 I saw one of these.. ended up with my pug but keep spotting the team banana I was going to buy where I go.. from right outside my work to even on shopping trips in town! I just love that colour scheme!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice looking bike. Didn't they do various guises of this in reynolds 531 and 18-23 steel?
Don't think they ever did it in 531, it was the common or garden 18-23 plain steel. It was the team bikes I think that got issued in both.

sidevalve

Über Member
Wondering if your bike has index gearing. Falcon did a version of this bike which did [I have one of these] with alloy rims. Thing about the brakes is to ride within their limits and look ahead - don't just ride and expect to stop on a sixpence because you've pushed it too far. The same applies to any older vehicle from m/cycles to cars. You might find the planing ahead habit improves you cycling anyway.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Thing about the brakes is to ride within their limits and look ahead - don't just ride and expect to stop on a sixpence because you've pushed it too far. The same applies to any older vehicle from m/cycles to cars. You might find the planing ahead habit improves you cycling anyway.
That's all very well but what happens when a dog or a person runs out in front of you and you do need to stop in a hurry? I think you need to get those brakes working as efficiently as possible, if it means going as far as replacing them then do it.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You cannot use those brakes from the hoods like modern ones, they need a full grip (4 fingers) on the brake lever which is why they would have been set a bit lower on the bars from the factory. I've got similar brakes on a couple of mine and both are capable of locking the wheels at will but are a lot more controllable than newer twin pivot type calipers. (I have to remember this when on any one of mine that I have changed the calipers on or I'm over the bars. :eek:)

OP
OP
Cavalol

Cavalol

Guru
Thanks, folks. I have a feeling the gears are SIS (indexed) and when I looked on the internet recently, I'm pretty sure they did a 'proper' lightweight version of it for racing purposes.

Fully agree I should have been more on the ball, I think I got carried away and just got too close, though prior to that I'd been keeping my distance and aiming for spaces between riders if they slowed down more than I could! It may be that it's more suitable for nicer weather and solo riding, where I find it easier to keep stopping distances etc, but I'll certainly look through my spares and see if I can improve the brakes!

Top Bottom