Barratt's Oesophagus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Anyone discovered they have Barratt's Oesophagus after a endoscopy?

If you have intermittent acid reflux or experience heartburn go and see your GP... the effects of long-term reflux damage can be irreversible.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

...as I found out yesterday :sad:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
what is it?
Scarring in the food tube that connects the mouth to the stomach.....it sometimes goes on to become cancerous. Caused by gastric reflux - where stomach contents leak out of the stomach and travel back towards the mouth. Not nice.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I had acid reflux for several years as a kid, but I seem to be none the worse for it. I don't know why I had it, but it eventually stopped on its own accord (I realise of course that It was probably a different type).

I hope you are ok.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Over time the acid reflux in the oesophagus can cause the cells lining the oesophagus to change character, essentially changing to stomach lining cells rather than oesophageal cells- this is a permanent change and in 99 cases out 100 it has no consequence but it does need to be monitored by having endoscopies every 1 to 3 years.

If you've had acid reflux a lot over a long period your doctor can refer you for an endoscopy to check your oesophagus and stomach, and may prescribe lansoprazole, a drug which adjusts the amount of acid in your stomach.

Seamab

IME some GP's would prescribe PPI drugs like lanzoprazole at the mere mention of heartburn or reflux.
The real problem is not stomach acid per se but the faulty operation of the Sphincter valve that allows some stomach acid to enter the oesophagus. We are supposed to have stomach acid. AFAIK the reason for this fault is not yet understood. PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) and other acid suppressant drugs cure the symptom but don't fix the problem and long term use can render patients with very little or no stomach acid which is not desirable for optimal digestion.

Toeclip

Guru
I was diagnosed with Barrett`s Oesophagus 3 years ago and have to take one Omerazole 40 mg capsule once a day for the rest of my life. Also have to have an endoscopy every two years, my next one will be in 2013 am I looking forward to it NO!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
and there was me thinking it was something involving a helicopter and dodgy 1970s housing.......

Top Bottom