Bartali honoured by holocaust museum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
Wonder why it took so long?

OP
OP
beastie

beastie

Guru
Interesting story. A modest person who does the right thing might feel that it doesn't warrant a fuss. As this is Pro Cycling, I will add superfluously that empty vessels maybe make the most noise.

Sorry what fuss? A man who risked his life to save many others is given some recognition (posthumously), yet you feel he should be more modest albeit though he is dead? Or am I missing something?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I thought TMN just meant that he was a genuinely modest man, or at least someone who didn't want to be a hero. (Which, of course, is hard to digest for his son - but that's just my superfluous comment.)

oldroadman

Veteran
He was nicknamed "Gino the pious" in his race days, a quiet and religious man, so doing things quietly simply to help another human being would be a natural thing for someone with his convictions and beliefs.
An example to us all, just keep doing the right thing. Others may never get to know, but that's not the point (as has been noted), it's about whether you want to treat people as you would wish to be treated, and if you have some good fortune, make sure you appreciate it and think of others, and spread a little of your good luck around if you can.

OP
OP
beastie

beastie

Guru
Just where did I say he should be more modest?

OK, I'll take this slowly. A modest man does the right thing, quietly. He probably didn't feel at the time that it warranted a fuss or that he was a hero (thanks @deptfordmarmoset spot on) but of course, he was one. It is very pleasing that he has had some recognition, albeit after his death.

This being Pro Cycling, I couldn't help noticing the contrast between that story and that of an immodest man who made a lot of noise about Doing The Right Thing, when in fact he was all the while doing the wrong thing - an empty vessel that sadly makes the most noise.

Not that important or profound really. Sorry if the original version was too subtle.
Thanks for the rewrite. I agree with both your points now that they make some sense I understand them.:smile:

Top Bottom