Base layers - Uniqlo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Merino wool is a good material and comfortable when cycling hard in cold weather. But it is expensive. I wonder if the UNIQLO Heat Tech products are suitable for reasonably vigorous cycling. Does any one have a view?

If you want affordable Merino - try the dhb range on wiggle. I've had a few Merino tops from other brands and they've always gone holey but dhb seem to be very long lasting and decent base layers. No idea about Uniglo.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Merino wool is a good material and comfortable when cycling hard in cold weather. But it is expensive. I wonder if the UNIQLO Heat Tech products are suitable for reasonably vigorous cycling. Does any one have a view?
Great stuff I used to buy it in Japan and still have a good stock left.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Personally I find merino unbearably itchy next to my upper body but fine as LJs. I recently bought some Heattech Ultra LJs and they are warm and comfortable like the vests. They are not daftly expensive either.

I use Aldi merino - never had a problem with it. Used to be a shade under £15 I think, now about £17. Merino was something of a revelation to me - before I got some I never really believed the stuff about it resisting pongs for so long/limited washing needs.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
Old Hippy: Are you saying YES to Uniqlo for cycling? Any problems with condensation after a long climb on a cold day?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Decathlon also do good value merino, and it's responsibly sourced.
Important, this /\/\/\

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulesing

Only man could breed an animal with genetically-caused issues and then cut lumps off it in the name of better animal husbandry. 😠

Top Bottom