Basic Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liquidindian

Hello everyone! I'm new here, so I apologise if this is a regular question. I've just bought a new bike - a Raleigh Pioneer Urban 4, if that means anything to anyone - after my old bike was stolen. I made a stupid decision that my bike was better off hidden than locked. Lesson learned. Anyway, I want to keep my new bike healthy, so I'm after any advice as to how to maintain it, or even good books on bike maintenance. What should I be doing every day/week/month?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
welcome liquidindian. keep the tyres pumped up to their max level, unless that's something like 140psi and it's a hot day. check for brake pads wearing down/the cable stretching and adjust accordingly (a local bike shop can do this if you need).

sheldon brown's website is generally regarded as the font of all knowledge around these parts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Use a good quality dry lube - spray down onto the rollers (in the middle of the chain) - don't bother with the outside of the chain, as it will get oiled anyway. Let the stuff dry, then wipe off the excess - the chain needs as little oil as possible on the outside - it's important to get it into the rollers. - Don't use WD40 on the chain - use an old rag to wipe off.

Run a rag through your rear sprockets to clear out any crap.
Check brakes touch the rims correctly
Wash as and when dirty, don't use a jet wash or hose near any bearings.
Oil chain after wet rides

zimzum42

Legendary Member
The Haynes book is good. It's like those books that show you how to fix cars, but it's for bikes!

Perry

Hello & Welcome. Yes, your question has been asked many times before and no doubt will be asked again. It's very friendly on here and we all like to help out our fellow cyclists.

I also recommend the Sheldon Brown & Bicycle tutor websites, they've helped me out a lot.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
An alternative book to have on the shelf is Bicycle Technology by Rob van den Plas. It's very clear and certainly guided me through a few bits of maintenance which I wouldn't otherwise have dared to attempt.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Unless you're that way inclined, genuinely essential maintenance on a bike - so long as it's setup properly to start with - is negligible. I'm not knocking people who wash their bike or run rags thru' rear sprockets, eg, but I've never done either and my bike runs like a dream. The one exception is tyres, which you should check/inflate on a weekly basis, using a decent track pump with a gauge. Other than that, re-lube your chain if you get caught in a torrential downpour - and probably once a monthish in any case - and take up any slack in brake cables occasionally, as your blocks wear. That's about it really. And for anything bigger/going wrong, as others have said, bicycletutor, sheldon brown and - I'd add - Park Tools.

Top Bottom