Bassons implying Wiggins/Froome are dopers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldroadman

Veteran
Oh yes, Baugé if I remember rightly. Missed 3 availability tests and then came away with a silver with a clear ''I'm a winner, I didn't win, therefore you cheated'' approach to coming second. Actually, I'm not sure there was a reference to magic wheels, the phrase was how the UK press parodied her suspicions about BC keeping their wheels under wraps until the last minute. (To stop the alcohol treatment from evaporating???)

oldroadman

Veteran
Ah no, the alcohol treatment was for non-team members, it was called celebrating! But seriously, why not take every legal advantage, great kit, staff, riders, and a sackful of medals. Others will catch up eventually, and so the need to improve goes on. Nobody seemed to worry when French, Aussies, etc., were winning loads, but Brits are supposed to be good losers, not go nicking all the silverware!^_^

It has always been the case that drugs will be ahead of the authorities at some point, and legal until they become banned. Look at the lists of the separate countries and how they disagreed before a single list was achieved and recognised.

The question raised above about the "spirit" reflects this.

If someone is willing to pump a drug into their body to gain an advantage, it is only a small bridge to cross before using an illegal one!

The other question though is if a drug is "legal" and hence acceptable at this stage, do those riders acievements become tarnished and invalid if that drug later becomes illegal

JayBear

Regular
Oh yes, Baugé if I remember rightly. Missed 3 availability tests and then came away with a silver with a clear ''I'm a winner, I didn't win, therefore you cheated'' approach to coming second. Actually, I'm not sure there was a reference to magic wheels, the phrase was how the UK press parodied her suspicions about BC keeping their wheels under wraps until the last minute. (To stop the alcohol treatment from evaporating???)

I seem to remember a fantastic interview with Chris Boardman during or just after the games when the question of the magic wheels was being discussed. The question was something along the lines of 'What do you say to the accusations from the French team that you have secret magic wheels?'

The answer was a look of a mischevious grin and the wonderful answer of something along the lines of "I think it's a bit odd really, we just buy the best wheels we can get hold of... we got the current ones from a company in France."

Hotblack Desiato

I seem to remember a fantastic interview with Chris Boardman during or just after the games when the question of the magic wheels was being discussed. The question was something along the lines of 'What do you say to the accusations from the French team that you have secret magic wheels?'

The answer was a look of a mischevious grin and the wonderful answer of something along the lines of "I think it's a bit odd really, we just buy the best wheels we can get hold of... we got the current ones from a company in France."

I love the thought of being able to get 'magic' wheels but sadly, knowing my luck they'd just be 'Mavic' ones!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Yes, Strathlubnaig mentioned that article in post #8. What I find hard to judge is, if Telmisartan has similar properties to AICAR, is cheap and readily available and not banned, how many riders are using it.

Yes, but what is he inferring? It sounds like ill-informed mud-slinging to me. AICAR is on the banned list - so it isn't that.
If it isn't on the list then it's not sailing close to the wind, it's legal. It either is or it isn't.
FWIW, everything I've heard and read from Sky and Wiggins is that they take nothing, zilch, nada. I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise but saying they must be doping because they're winning just doesn't cut it for me.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some fallout from this speech as it could be construed that he is implying that the peloton is, once again, one step ahead of the anti-doping authorities. If this is what he means he might have to be more specific. He mentions not needing muscles anymore, or something along those lines, which has got to be a reference to the drugs in the article linked by Strathlubnaig, hasn't it? I read it definitely as some sort of substance misuse, whether legal or not at the moment.

If it's taken x amount of years for the whole truth to come out surrounding Armstrong then it would have to be concluded that eventually dopers will be caught? Surely the big players would be aware of this. FWIW I think Sky are clean so mudslinging it is, unless he can tone down the cryptics and spell out what he means...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Anybody speak french and able to see what their forums say about team sky?
I speak French but I don't know of any decent forums. L'équipe's comments are always good for a taste of xenophobia though. Thin Brit wins - AICAR. Big Brit wins - Steroids. Pervis disqualified this week - Brits got to the commissionaire. Their keyboard warriors are worse than the Direly Mail equivalent.

Top Bottom