Battery Light Recommendations Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisKH

Guru
So that I don't have to do my blind mole impressions (or turning Japanese ones) on the next Fnrttc, recommendations please for a battery light on my road bike. I'v looked at the Cateye EL530 and the Hope Vision 1 thus far, but can't find any other alternatives. Budget £80-£90 tops.

If these are the two best on the market, why choose the Hope over the Cateye, given there is a £ disparity of some £30-£40?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The Hope vision is a lot better than the EL530.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The EL 530 it total pants compared to the Hope Vision 1 - I got two Hope V 1's rather than the Vision 2....tricky decision, but for commuting, I can have one flashing, one on medium, and can easily swap the lot to a mtb. And, they take AA's - so use with hybrids, you'll be sorted.

The Hope lights are well worth the money, makes the plastic cat eye's seem very expensive.

But then again, a Fenix torch is half the price of a Hope Vision 1.....

Hope lights are fantastically made......and from the UK.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'll be squinting with the 530, not the Vision 1 given budget. Take a few set's of batteries, and you'll be sorted, even on the higher settings. The low on the hope is way brighter than the 530

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Hope vision 1 is the best battery light out the for the money.

But the Tesco ten quid torch will work just as well on the road, and you can buy several for what they cost

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
well I'm still using the EL530 - and I won't be upgrading to the Hope because the difference is not so very great at thirty and forty metres. And the EL530 is reliable, even in rain. Mine have lasted for over almost two years without fault, whereas my LBS proprietor's brother's opinion of Hope products doesn't inspire confidence.

As for the June FNRttC - be not afeared. I don't know what you're using now, but if you managed last week and if it's not raining on the 5th/6th then you'll be fine. Bear in mind it will be all streetlit until Dartford, and most of the way to Gravesend and light after Rochester. If we go down the canal towpath at Gravesend then - well, it's supposed to be dark! Come September's ride you will need the best you can get.

Unless you're doing night rides as a matter of course I'd hang on to your dosh until August and see if something earthshattering comes out. There are bigger, better LEDs out there, and the light manufacturers might come up with something brighter. Or go with the Tesco torch thing. Now that is a bargain, and highlights (groan) the really outrageous prices of bike lights.

OP
OP
ChrisKH

ChrisKH

Guru
Thanks Guys.

Tesco torch it is then for now: I presume they are still selling them? Which one will I need and where do I get a holder for them? I know this is raking over old stuff, but I'm old and decrepit. ;)

ChrisKH said:
Thanks Guys.

Tesco torch it is then for now: I presume they are still selling them? Which one will I need and where do I get a holder for them? I know this is raking over old stuff, but I'm old and decrepit. ;)
The tesco cree 3watt is the one you want you'll find lots of thredas on it. I mount mine with a twofishlockblock but you'l find lots of more imaginitive ideas on the threads. :biggrin:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Another alternative is the Fenix LD20 (or L2D) torch (same place as HLaB's lockblock). Just about as bright as a Hope vision 1, and substantially brighter than the Tesco 3W AA (mainly in the peripheral area).

The disadvantage of the Tesco is that it's either on or off - there's no lower powered modes to make your batteries last longer than 2 hours.

jimboalee

The Tesco 3V, 3W torch.

The headunit can be removed, flyleads soldered in and potted ( filled in ) with Epoxy resin.

It will run very nicely off a Sturmey Dynohub ( or alike ) through a full wave rectifier.

Top Bottom