BB/Crank adaptation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark's trike

Help!

I am a disabled would-be rider, and know that I need to purchase a trike for balance problems. I could probably adapt one of my old bikes (but if someone knows how, let me know!!). However, my biggest problem is how to adapt the BB/crank.

As I use an artifical limb, I cannot push the left hand pedal down due to my disability. In an ideal world, I would be looking at disconnecting the crank off the BB, so even though the pedal was there to attach my limb to, when I powered the bike via the right hand crank/pedal, the left hand side did not move.

If anyone knows how to d othis I would appreciate it. It is the one problem that i haven't figured a way round as yet. I also have access to an Engineering workshop where I work, so even if the answer to my problem seems difficult for a "man in a shed", an engineering apprentice may be able to help fabricate something!!

Regards,

Mark

Why not forget about mounting the left hand crank at all, and just weld a suitably shaped footrest/bracket to the BB to provide you with somewhere to rest your artifical limb?

OP
OP
M

Mark's trike

Why didn't I think of that?!?

Would I simply cut off the section of the bottom bracket that the crank slots onto, and then weld to the frame?

02GF74

Über Member
depending on the bottom bracket fitted, you will have some protruding past the frame in order to attach the crank. I see no reason why you cannot cut this flush to the frame - an angle grinder would be required as the BB is hardened.

With the foot rest - either make one from steel and weld to frame or bolt onto frame using something like jubilee clips - it doesn't need to be mega strong as there will not be much force on it.

If you wanted, you could attach the left crank to the frame in some manner.

You have considered about holding the left foot in place to stop it bouncing off - maybe a rest is better than using the crank?

Top Bottom