BB+crank remover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
I think I have a spare crank remover. I'll have a look later.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Hmmmm...unsure...I will get back to you after I have had another look at the bike. (infact I guess I will take photos of the crank, post them on here in the know how section and see if this is the tool needed). Many thanks for the response.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's the usual type and I just paid £12.99 for one at my LBS. If I'd known that colly had a spare one I'd have scounged that off him! ;)

What's really annoying is that I know I've got another one somewhere but I can't find it! Time to have a long-overdue springclean methinks. Who knows what will turn up...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
montage said:
Hmmmm...unsure...I will get back to you after I have had another look at the bike. (infact I guess I will take photos of the crank, post them on here in the know how section and see if this is the tool needed). Many thanks for the response.

If you want to take the cranks off then it is.
What you do, is you unscrew the middle bit out, and screw the outer bit onto the cranks(where you moved the bolt from)
Then you turn the middle bit, so that the centre pushes onto the BB axle.
You might need to use abit more persuasion(taps with abit of wood) to get the crank to move abit more.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Joe24 said:
If you want to take the cranks off then it is.
What you do, is you unscrew the middle bit ALL THE WAY out, and screw the outer bit ALL THE WAY onto the cranks(where you moved the bolt from)
I've modified your advice to emphasise the importance of that.

When I first used a crank puller, I didn't completely unscrew the middle bit, which meant that the outer bit felt tight when it was only halfway screwed on. As a result, I extracted the thread from the crank, rather than the crank from the axle! ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
ColinJ said:
I've modified your advice to emphasise the importance of that.

When I first used a crank puller, I didn't completely unscrew the middle bit, which meant that the outer bit felt tight when it was only halfway screwed on. As a result, I extracted the thread from the crank, rather than the crank from the axle! ;)

Ive heard worse stories!!
When i borrowed one, the person i borrowed it from told me to make sure the washer was out from the bolt.
He said that someone a few years ago had tried to get a crank off, but couldnt. He was asked if he had taken the washer off and he said yes.

Result? He didnt take the washer off, and the crank didnt want to move:rolleyes:

colly

Re member eR
+1 for what Colin and Joe said about making sure it is home tight and the washer is out.

I've stripped a thread from the inside of a crank before and apart from being expensive it is a bugger to get the crank arm off once you have done that.

I ended up hacksawing it and chiseling it. :biggrin:

ChrisKH

Guru
The Aldi or Lidl bike tool kit has one (I bought it for £19) and it has one as well as an assortment of other tools. Worked perfectly. I know they've gone up in price now, but still well worth the investment even if they're not quite Park Tool quality.

gbb

Legendary Member
Has anyone else found this....
My cheapie (£5 off ebay) extractor has worked fine ...but on the last set of cranks i took off, the 'nose' of the extractor drove itself into the threaded part of the axle. Thats where the poor quality comes into play.
What i do now is have an 8mm bolt (IIRC) with a very low head on it, thread that into the retaining bolt thread first ...to protect the threads.

I know there is a slightly different extractor...perhaps i was using the wrong one in this case?

Top Bottom